• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

195S electrical/mechanical issue

jdkaeser

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
Maybe a bad coil pack? Remove one pack at a time and run. If it runs worse, move to the next one. If one is unplugged and it runs the same that would be the bad coil.

Last idea I have!

stoneclan

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
If you run it on the hose, can you blip the throttle to max?
Yes, I can blip throttle and get max rpm’s ~7600. Thought maybe cooling water flow, but I’m seeing solid flow from all three cooling discharge ports.

Last edited:

stoneclan

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Maybe a bad coil pack? Remove one pack at a time and run. If it runs worse, move to the next one. If one is unplugged and it runs the same that would be the bad coil.

Last idea I have!
Putting it on my list of things to try next trip to the water, thx

minn19

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
One other thing to check is maybe there is air in your intercooler/supercharger system and it needs to be bleed. I've heard of it happening on cars and the symptoms sound similar to what is going on with your engine. I'm unsure if the systems are the same, but something to think about if nothing else works.

stoneclan

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length

Last idea I have!
Checked coil packs no issues, looks like I’m stuck with a trip to the dealer. Thx for the suggestion

marcham

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
So you can get 7600 rpm on land but only 5500 rpm in the water? Have you been back in the water since you were able to get 7600 rpm on land?

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Yes, I can blip throttle and get max rpm’s ~7600. Thought maybe cooling water flow, but I’m seeing solid flow from all three cooling discharge ports.
So let's think this out - if you can get max rpm's out of the water but only 60% rpm's in the water, then something is holding the engine back while in the water from rotating to max RPM's. Someone can correct me, but if you have cavitation issues, you should still get full rpm. This leads me to believe that you have something jammed on the impeller or a possible bearing issue on the impeller drive line. Honestly, I would get this to the dealer ASAP and make them figure it out.

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
So you can get 7600 rpm on land but only 5500 rpm in the water? Have you been back in the water since you were able to get 7600 rpm on land?
Good call. Something may have jostled free since taking it out of the water. I would recommend, on land, video the rpm's hitting max, then (if the issue appears on the water again) video it again not hitting max. You might save them some time dragging it in and out of the water.

Either that, or you'll put it back in the water and it'll work fine. :)

jdkaeser

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
This sounds like a tough Gremlin! Hopefully the dealer can figure it out. Let us know if they do, otherwise I won't be able to sleep at night without closure!

stoneclan

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
I’ve been in touch with the dealer, explained everything in detail. He suggested most of everything that was discussed here, still waiting on a call back for further guidance. Most likely it’s a 4hr trip to the dealership where I bought it only because no one else will look at it in the next 4 weeks. Like the idea of video running in/out of water, haven’t tried it back in the water since reconnecting the battery doubt I’ll get that lucky that it fixed the problem. Will update when I get more info, thx for all the input!

stoneclan

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
So let's think this out - if you can get max rpm's out of the water but only 60% rpm's in the water, then something is holding the engine back while in the water from rotating to max RPM's. Someone can correct me, but if you have cavitation issues, you should still get full rpm. This leads me to believe that you have something jammed on the impeller or a possible bearing issue on the impeller drive line. Honestly, I would get this to the dealer ASAP and make them figure it out.
We discussed cavitation as a possible issue, but we came to the same conclusion that should still see max rpm’s just not top speed.

stoneclan

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Well happy to report we figured out the issue. Took some video inside the engine bay while testing. Saw the air intake hose collapsing under heavy a load. Inspected the air filter again nothing found, looked at the air box opening theres a piece of gray foam rubber that’s attached to the boat adjacent to the air box. It had come loose and was blocking the intake. Would only happen under heavy load. Not sure what the purpose of the foam rubber maybe keep moisture out but owners beware. See pictures66788BF2-2624-40D8-A866-CF096C613619.jpegCAE14A3F-BFBB-42F1-8718-B37F3F3487B0.jpeg66788BF2-2624-40D8-A866-CF096C613619.jpegCAE14A3F-BFBB-42F1-8718-B37F3F3487B0.jpeg

Last edited:

jEt_jAk

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Wow. Yup that will do it.

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
What the actual F! glad you found the issue!

nbreidel

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
Well happy to report we figured out the issue. Took some video inside the engine bay while testing. Saw the air intake hose collapsing under heavy a load. Inspected the air filter again nothing found, looked at the air box opening theres a piece of gray foam rubber that’s attached to the boat adjacent to the air box. It had come loose and was blocking the intake. Would only happen under heavy load. Not sure what the purpose of the foam rubber maybe keep moisture out but owners beware. See picturesView attachment 123027View attachment 123028View attachment 123027View attachment 123028
Thank you for posting this, having almost the exact same issue. at just north of 6k rpms feels like it is being choked and gets stuck in rev up and down mode (almost like a regulator). But went and looked at mine and have the exact same piece of foam floating there. Looks like it was once glued to wall but floated away. I am guessing this is simply sound dampner. Glued it back up and will take it out tonight and try it out again.

stoneclan

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Thank you for posting this, having almost the exact same issue. at just north of 6k rpms feels like it is being choked and gets stuck in rev up and down mode (almost like a regulator). But went and looked at mine and have the exact same piece of foam floating there. Looks like it was once glued to wall but floated away. I am guessing this is simply sound dampner. Glued it back up and will take it out tonight and try it out again.
Glad it helped you out, I did provide Yamaha with the info doubt they did anything with it.

gking

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
Well happy to report we figured out the issue. Took some video inside the engine bay while testing. Saw the air intake hose collapsing under heavy a load. Inspected the air filter again nothing found, looked at the air box opening theres a piece of gray foam rubber that’s attached to the boat adjacent to the air box. It had come loose and was blocking the intake. Would only happen under heavy load. Not sure what the purpose of the foam rubber maybe keep moisture out but owners beware. See picturesView attachment 123027View attachment 123028View attachment 123027View attachment 123028
I think I may be having same problem did you end up cutting the foam back?