• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

195S or SX210?

Foxtrek

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Hello everyone! We are new to the boat scene and currently have a 2020 195S on order but just came across a clean 2013 SX210 for sale locally that is $15k less than the 195S. My wife and I have two young boys and am wondering if the 195S is the way to go or we should consider the used 210. Any suggestions or considerations would be appreciated!

Last edited:

14SX190

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hi

There are other factors that will help in making decision.
Where are you boating? Are you planning on taking other family of 4 with you?

I was planning on getting 2020 SX190 but deal fell through as dealer could't secure one.
I found a used 14 and fits in my garage and I don't plan on carrying capacity unless its to sand bar

Only thing with buying used are potential problems. I was diligent and did compression test, water test, but forgot to check oil.
It had marble noise in jet pump area and knew they would need replacing. A Week later I found water in oil. Hoping to get pump bearing on tomorrow and take boat to water on Tuesday to try it out again for a Pass or Fail 2nd outing

The SC require 91+ and are not easy on gas.

Foxtrek

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Hi

There are other factors that will help in making decision.
Where are you boating? Are you planning on taking other family of 4 with you?

I was planning on getting 2020 SX190 but deal fell through as dealer could't secure one.
I found a used 14 and fits in my garage and I don't plan on carrying capacity unless its to sand bar

Only thing with buying used are potential problems. I was diligent and did compression test, water test, but forgot to check oil.
It had marble noise in jet pump area and knew they would need replacing. A Week later I found water in oil. Hoping to get pump bearing on tomorrow and take boat to water on Tuesday to try it out again for a Pass or Fail 2nd outing

The SC require 91+ and are not easy on gas.
I’d say mostly our family, but would be taking friends with at times. Sticking to lakes but also live near the St. Croix River, so would be going there sometimes as well.

14SX190

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Jet boats come with learning curve vs traditional I/O.
If this is your first boat the 19' is a great starting boat but you are limited to seating and power.

The 210 will give you seating and extra power. Motors are Non Supercharged which for me a plus.
If you are mechanically inclined most things can be done by you or help if you find someone close to you to give you a hand the 210 may be better buy. Do you have link or pictures.
You can upgrade next season and get the 24
😄

Gunner

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Despite the difference in age this is my take:

195s, PROS: newer, nicer trim level, faster, easier to tow, stores in most garages, single engine maintenance ,warranty, tower if you want it.
CONS: much more $$, needs higher octane gas and will use more of it, single engine (pro and con), smaller for passengers but still good for a 19'.

SX210: PROS: roomier, dual engine reliability, more sun shade with bimini, dual axle trailer, less $$$, regular gas
CONs: no warranty and uncertainty of buying used, not fitting in any standard garage, little underpowered, no tower if you wanted one and two engines to maintain.

Crob83

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Jet boats come with learning curve vs traditional I/O.
If this is your first boat the 19' is a great starting boat but you are limited to seating and power.

The 210 will give you seating and extra power. Motors are Non Supercharged which for me a plus.
If you are mechanically inclined most things can be done by you or help if you find someone close to you to give you a hand the 210 may be better buy. Do you have link or pictures.
You can upgrade next season and get the 24
😄
The 195 is definitely more powerful than an SX210

14SX190

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The 195 is definitely more powerful than an SX210
If the SX210 is HO with the twin 1800 would the 195S be faster?
I had SC SHO and the NA 1.8
Their were equally MPH but SC got to speed quicker.
The SVHO is a different beast but ill take twin NA vs single SC.

Crob83

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
The 195 has a faster hole shot and better top end by a substantial amount than a 2013 SX210. I test drove one at the dealer, same year. My 195 does at least 10 mph faster on the top end. Not sure about the new SX210, but the older ones are underpowered for sure

jEt_jAk

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Personally I would do the 195S. Mainly because it can fit in my garage and I don’t really need the space. Rarely do we have more than 4 people onboard and usually 2 of them are kids.

It’s a lso faster and more fun to do mods as you only have to do it to one engine :)

If they had a twin SVHO that is 21ft that would be one I may consider someday if I had a bigger garage.

Last edited:

WREKS

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
SX210 is my choice. Better for family and friends. You have plenty of advisors here regarding used boats and what to look for.

VitaminSea

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Another consideration that I didn’t see listed, a larger hull/heavier boat should provide a smoother ride in rougher waters. Not familiar with your waterways.

I have a 2012 SX210 (same layout/power train as the 13), and can agree with the “under powered” comments above. Plenty of power to get on plane quickly, but if you intend to cruise faster than 35, you are at the top end of the tack (more fuel burn & louder). However, if you plan on cruising around 25-32 there is no issue.

Also if you are new to boating, twin throttles can lead to another “learning curve”. The engines are not electronically controlled, so one has to manually manipulate the throttles to synchronize/match engine RPMs, but this will afford you more control when docking, and a second engine allowing you to “limp back” if something were to happen to the other engine.

Lastly, the 21 will have more storage space.

the 19 has the nicer outfitted interior, and due to the new seating design, might feel a little more open in the cockpit. I was in a similar situation to you last year and went with the larger boat and lower price point.

What is your tow vehicle, is weight a concern?

let us know what you decide.

14SX190

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Another consideration that I didn’t see listed, a larger hull/heavier boat should provide a smoother ride in rougher waters. Not familiar with your waterways.

I have a 2012 SX210 (same layout/power train as the 13), and can agree with the “under powered” comments above. Plenty of power to get on plane quickly, but if you intend to cruise faster than 35, you are at the top end of the tack (more fuel burn & louder). However, if you plan on cruising around 25-32 there is no issue.

Also if you are new to boating, twin throttles can lead to another “learning curve”. The engines are not electronically controlled, so one has to manually manipulate the throttles to synchronize/match engine RPMs, but this will afford you more control when docking, and a second engine allowing you to “limp back” if something were to happen to the other engine.

the 19 has the nicer outfitted interior, and due to the new seating design, might feel a little more open in the cockpit. I was in a similar situation to you last year and went with the larger boat and lower price point.

So the 2012 has the 1052cc. Those engines were in the older VX's and can understand the under power on 210.
Unless it has the 1800cc I would pass on 21 with 1052cc engine.

The fun factor on a 195S with SVHO would be hard to beat.

Which goes with your 2nd point of tow vehicle?

I knew my SX190 would be underpowered vs the 195S but I didn't want the SC so I made speed sacrifice.

OrangeTJ

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
We had an 11 SX210, which had a somewhat different hull than a 13, but really never felt "underpowered" with the twin 1052s. It's 220 horsepower. It wasn't a rocketship, but it came out of the hole fast and ours would top out in the high 40s in perfect conditions at our low elevation lake, about 40 in normal use. No issues at all cruising 30 mph with two families aboard. I vote for a twin engine setup and larger boat, personally. Also note that if this is your first boat, it probably won't be your last. There's something to be said for buying a clean used boat for the first one.

Foxtrek

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length

Good points. We love the tech and luxury features the 195S offers for sure. We’d be towing with a 2018 Explorer with the V6, so I think either boat would be an option for towing.

Foxtrek

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
We had an 11 SX210, which had a somewhat different hull than a 13, but really never felt "underpowered" with the twin 1052s. It's 220 horsepower. It wasn't a rocketship, but it came out of the hole fast and ours would top out in the high 40s in perfect conditions at our low elevation lake, about 40 in normal use. No issues at all cruising 30 mph with two families aboard. I vote for a twin engine setup and larger boat, personally. Also note that if this is your first boat, it probably won't be your last. There's something to be said for buying a clean used boat for the first one.
Very true. That’s one of my issues is so I need to pay that much for a 195S for a first boat? But then again maybe the size of the 19 would be better to handle, tow, dock, etc. compared to starting with something bigger. Too bad these boats are all hard to find at a dealer because I’d love to test drive them both next to each other.

Foxtrek

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Despite the difference in age this is my take:

195s, PROS: newer, nicer trim level, faster, easier to tow, stores in most garages, single engine maintenance ,warranty, tower if you want it.
CONS: much more $$, needs higher octane gas and will use more of it, single engine (pro and con), smaller for passengers but still good for a 19'.

SX210: PROS: roomier, dual engine reliability, more sun shade with bimini, dual axle trailer, less $$$, regular gas
CONs: no warranty and uncertainty of buying used, not fitting in any standard garage, little underpowered, no tower if you wanted one and two engines to maintain.
Very good things to consider for each - thanks!!

Sugarcharged

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Very good things to consider for each - thanks!!
Thanks for this thread Foxtrek. I'm considering both for 2021 season as well. I gave up to buy this year due to lack of inventory and no discounts. I will keep my pontoon for now.

Foxtrek

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Thanks for this thread Foxtrek. I'm considering both for 2021 season as well. I gave up to buy this year due to lack of inventory and no discounts. I will keep my pontoon for now.
Right! I’ve debated giving up my reservation on the 195S but am afraid it’s a rare opportunity given the market this year!

Foxtrek

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Thanks again for the feedback everyone! UPDATE: still no word on delivery for the 195S. Getting impatient and frustrated with the lack of communication from our dealership, so have continued to look at other options. Recently came across a 2014 212X that has approx 250 hours and in good shape. What are your thoughts on the 212X models?