• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

1983 Jet Lark Jet Boat

boardman74

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Other
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Hello, I'm a new user so If I'm posting in the wrong area I apologize.

Last Fall I came across a Jet Lark mini Jet boat on crags list and ended purchasing it with a trailer for $500 knowing it was a project. It is complete so I figured I could get it going. The hull is nearly mint condition and the trailer is nice so for $500 it was a no lose situation. My research has shown that these are super rare. Apparently only 300-500 were ever made. Nice condition running boats are worth between $3500-$5000 it seems like. There is very little info to be found so I am hoping there are people on here that may know these boat or at least way more about jet boats than I do.

What I know. 1983 model Jet Lark. These were the sister ships to the Aqua Lark which had a small outboard. Boat is 8 feet long, seats 2 and is powered by a 40 hp 430 Cuyuna 2 stroke 2 cylinder engine backed up to a Berkley 6JA jet pump. I am not yet sure if the motor runs. Prior owner stated it did not have spark and thats as far as he got. Turns over freely and seems to have compression. The no spark condition is likely due to the owner not know it had a kill tether that was open. The guy had acquired the boat 25 years ago and never touched it. At some point he tried to get it running and had no spark and thats where he left it until he put it on craigslist. The motor was out on the boat sitting in his garage. My thought on that is to put it back in the boat and hook everything up and see if there is spark and then check compression. It will obviously need a carb clean and some other sorting before it runs if there is spark and compression. If the engine requires much past that I am not sure I want to invest the time and money. There are 2 glassed in wooden blocks that the motor mounted to that are rotten so first thing is to chisel them out and glass in new wood.

My biggest worry is the jet pump. I know engines and especially that vintage 2 stroke twin very well. Its basically a snowmobile motor with water cooling. The pump is a Berkley 6JA which is the little brother to the Berkley 12s all the old school big block jet boats run. Jet is complete and looks good. The worry I have is I can not turn the input shaft of the pump by hand. If I stick a short screw driver in the coupler I can turn it but its stiff. Should there be this much resistance in the pump? I have shone a light in both ends and there is nothing that appears to be stuck inside. I am really looking for some input on the pump. Again not much info about the 6JA on the net.

Its a super cool boat and I would like to get it running. The glass work is easy. The hull is in excellent shape and will look great after a coat of wax. I'm just not wanting to rebuild a motor or a jet pump. I can easily get my money back selling complete as a project or parting out. I would hate to part it out as it is complete and like I said these are super rare.

Any input is appreciated.

This one is not mine, I'm just posting for reference.

I have never seen that make. Pretty cool. That one needs Donald Duck in it.

sitting that long will usually allow the stainless liner to swell and lock up the impeller so that is the first place to look is the liner touching any part of the impeller there should be a clean space approximately 20,000 if an inch all the way around between the impeller edge and the liner.

Thank you for the reply. I have seen all those listings and a few others. Like those most are old listings, nothing current.

I'm really hoping someone has some knowledge about the boat or better yet about the Berkley 6JA jet pump.

Cobra Jet,
Thank you for the Reply. I am assuming you are talking about what I've heard called a wear ring in PWC's. If so is there a way to correct this without replacing the wear ring? From what I've researched parts aren't easy to come buy for the 6JA's. Hence the reason they are so valuable. I have seen a couple places where complete units are selling for $1000-1500 bucks. Apparently they are popular for little jet projects as they can handle up to 120 hp.

first you need to get the impeller and wear ring housing apart then do a search I did a post one time about a poor mans wear ring repair it worked pretty effectively actually . However I started using nylon liners and never had the problem in the first place once I did that.

So as some probably know Berkley went out of business years ago and was acquired by CP performance. I contacted them about a wear ring and they told me they have no parts for the 6JA pump.

I know its a long shot but does anyone know where I might find a wear ring for a Berkley 6JA jet pump?

Hello, I'm a new user so If I'm posting in the wrong area I apologize.

Last Fall I came across a Jet Lark mini Jet boat on crags list and ended purchasing it with a trailer for $500 knowing it was a project. It is complete so I figured I could get it going. The hull is nearly mint condition and the trailer is nice so for $500 it was a no lose situation. My research has shown that these are super rare. Apparently only 300-500 were ever made. Nice condition running boats are worth between $3500-$5000 it seems like. There is very little info to be found so I am hoping there are people on here that may know these boat or at least way more about jet boats than I do.

What I know. 1983 model Jet Lark. These were the sister ships to the Aqua Lark which had a small outboard. Boat is 8 feet long, seats 2 and is powered by a 40 hp 430 Cuyuna 2 stroke 2 cylinder engine backed up to a Berkley 6JA jet pump. I am not yet sure if the motor runs. Prior owner stated it did not have spark and thats as far as he got. Turns over freely and seems to have compression. The no spark condition is likely due to the owner not know it had a kill tether that was open. The guy had acquired the boat 25 years ago and never touched it. At some point he tried to get it running and had no spark and thats where he left it until he put it on craigslist. The motor was out on the boat sitting in his garage. My thought on that is to put it back in the boat and hook everything up and see if there is spark and then check compression. It will obviously need a carb clean and some other sorting before it runs if there is spark and compression. If the engine requires much past that I am not sure I want to invest the time and money. There are 2 glassed in wooden blocks that the motor mounted to that are rotten so first thing is to chisel them out and glass in new wood.

My biggest worry is the jet pump. I know engines and especially that vintage 2 stroke twin very well. Its basically a snowmobile motor with water cooling. The pump is a Berkley 6JA which is the little brother to the Berkley 12s all the old school big block jet boats run. Jet is complete and looks good. The worry I have is I can not turn the input shaft of the pump by hand. If I stick a short screw driver in the coupler I can turn it but its stiff. Should there be this much resistance in the pump? I have shone a light in both ends and there is nothing that appears to be stuck inside. I am really looking for some input on the pump. Again not much info about the 6JA on the net.

Its a super cool boat and I would like to get it running. The glass work is easy. The hull is in excellent shape and will look great after a coat of wax. I'm just not wanting to rebuild a motor or a jet pump. I can easily get my money back selling complete as a project or parting out. I would hate to part it out as it is complete and like I said these are super rare.

Any input is appreciated.
I did the same thing in April. I acquired an 84' Jet Lark that had a leaky tarp and it got flooded on the inside. The engine was frozen by the emulsified oil. When I opened it up it was like Jell-O on the inside but very little actual rust. What I've found for the engine is sourcing parts from the other uses that were more common like the vintage snowmobile groups and the ultralight groups. I'm in the process of trying to shoehorn a Yamaha 650 super jet in place of the Xenoah that was in there. Where did you find the 300-500 made number?

Back