• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

1996 sugar sand heat xrt won’t start

Akrewmonte

Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Hi, I just bought a 96 sugar sand heat jet boat 120hp. Previous owner had it running when I picked it up. Had him turn it off and restart it just to see, took two or three tries but it started right up. But very smokey. Took it out to the water today and it started for maybe 5 seconds, then it shut off. It has gas, we jumped the battery, but no luck. Does anyone have any insights as to what I should be doing?

Stomp10

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Tango
Boat Length
@Akrewmonte I'd be sure to run a compression test on each cylinder.
If you can get it running on a hose on the trailer try to run some seafoam through it as its running. like an ounce or two mixed in with a 50-50 mix.
That might help to clear up some carb issues for a bit.
Change the fuel filter first.....
This should give you some answers hopefully.
Hopefully, you have made some progress since you first posted

Akrewmonte

Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Thank you for your reply! I greatly appreciate it. We ended up doing exactly that, and we think it may be the reed valve that needs replacement. We don’t know for certain how to change that, but we ordered the part. If you have any insight as to how to do that, I would love to hear it! Thank you again.

Stomp10

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Tango
Boat Length
@Akrewmonte Good job!
Aftermarket composite reeds are a better choice than the stock stainless steel reeds IMO!

Stomp10

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Tango
Boat Length

Acripchuck

Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Other
Agree with the reed valves being suspect in slow starts! I finally got the courage to rip the carbs and get to the reed valves and was so happy I did. four of the stainless steel reeds were chewed up so it was obvious that it was sucking so much air that it messed with the fuel air mixture (besides slow start, it wouldn't run like it's supposed to). I got the Boyesen power reeds (dual reeds) and oh boy it started right ups and now it jumps to a plane right away in the water.