• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

19ft Series Gray vs Black Mooring Covers

thepiratemorgan

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
Currently own the gray premium mooring cover that is now 3 seasons old and will probably need replacing by end of this season. My question is, what are the similarities / differences / advantages between the gray and black premium mooring covers? Thanks for any and all info

Last edited:

Russ C

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I was wondering the same thing, let me know what prices you find. I’m getting ready to order also.

thepiratemorgan

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
I was wondering the same thing, let me know what prices you find. I’m getting ready to order also.
eBay seems to be the best price for either. Most eBay offers are from well known marine suppliers.
CORRECTION - looks like currently Leaders RPM has the black SX version for $600 free shipping, no tax

Last edited:

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I like the gray because it doesn't heat up as much

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I wasn’t aware that Yamaha offers their premium mooring covers in gray but I once thought that all black covers were premium covers and only found out I was wrong when the used black cover i bought from a member here turned out to be a standard cover.

As I recall when the premium covers were introduced they only came in black. They were also supposed to be made of thicker more weather resistant material. The thing that stuck out the most about the premium covers is that they have rubber or plastic pockets that the cleats sit in and the ratchets are enclosed by similar pockets. By comparison the standard cover has reinforced openings that the cleats go through and the ratchet pockets are like a vinyl material, not as rigid / form keeping as those on the premium covers. Oh the premium for the premium cover was about $250 over the standard cover, so $700 v. $450, respectively.

thepiratemorgan

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
My gray cover is of the premium type because it does have the rubberized cleat holes and ratchet pockets you describe. From the pics I see online there is a difference between the gray and black, if ever so slightly. The black looks to have cleat covers vs just a rubberized hole on the gray. I'm happy with the gray so far and I do like the fact that it may be slightly cooler than the black (as mentioned in the thread)...and add the fact it matches the silver striping along the sides of the boat. I'm just curious if I'm missing something better with the black as they look to be darn close in price.

d_coyne1984

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
My gray cover is of the premium type because it does have the rubberized cleat holes and ratchet pockets you describe. From the pics I see online there is a difference between the gray and black, if ever so slightly. The black looks to have cleat covers vs just a rubberized hole on the gray. I'm happy with the gray so far and I do like the fact that it may be slightly cooler than the black (as mentioned in the thread)...and add the fact it matches the silver striping along the sides of the boat. I'm just curious if I'm missing something better with the black as they look to be darn close in price.
The grey cover is just the standard "deluxe cover." The black one is the "premium deluxe cover." I have been happy with how my grey one has held up now on it's 4th season, but it is hardly water resistant at this point. My boat has spent about half it's summers outside with the cover on and the other half on a covered lift, with the cover on (yeah, I am a tad over protective). I trailer with it on quite regularly on two hour trips at highway speeds. In the winters it is garaged with the shipping cover. So my grey cover has seen some use and sun abuse.

I have heard the Premium deluxe cover is made with better fabric and the most obvious thing are the zippered cleat covers. One thing I am very interested in is the backing material behind the cleat covers. My deluxe (grey) cover has chafed the gelcoat around my cleats (I assume during the stresses of towing). I am wondering if the premium deluxe cover is build better to prevent that?

Farmdog267

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have the black premium cover for my SX190. Only had it for a few months but it works well and seems to keep stuff dry or the underside! I'm happy with the performance of the cover so far..

thepiratemorgan

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
I have the black premium cover for my SX190. Only had it for a few months but it works well and seems to keep stuff dry or the underside! I'm happy with the performance of the cover so far..
d_coyne1984 was curious, and I am as well, about the cleat covers and if there is a backing material behind them.
I'm also curious if anyone in the forum has had both and their opinions about one vs the other. Maybe I'm really digging too deep here, but with the price points on both almost moot, if one of holds up better than the other or does seem more "premium", then I would probably go with that one.

Russ C

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I will have it this weekend, I am replacing a grey one so I will take pics of both for you

thepiratemorgan

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
Thanks Russ

skbishop90

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
The grey cover is just the standard "deluxe cover." The black one is the "premium deluxe cover." I have been happy with how my grey one has held up now on it's 4th season, but it is hardly water resistant at this point. My boat has spent about half it's summers outside with the cover on and the other half on a covered lift, with the cover on (yeah, I am a tad over protective). I trailer with it on quite regularly on two hour trips at highway speeds. In the winters it is garaged with the shipping cover. So my grey cover has seen some use and sun abuse.

I have heard the Premium deluxe cover is made with better fabric and the most obvious thing are the zippered cleat covers. One thing I am very interested in is the backing material behind the cleat covers. My deluxe (grey) cover has chafed the gelcoat around my cleats (I assume during the stresses of towing). I am wondering if the premium deluxe cover is build better to prevent that?
It does the same thing....Ask me how I know

Russ C

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Having a problem with pictures but I will try to upload again later, there is no additional padding on the back of the black cover compared to the grey cover. The only real difference is the rubber covers over the fuel fill spout and the cleats. I would say the black cover is slightly lighter than the original grey cover I had (good or bad) however my grey cover was from 2014. I would bet they are made of the same weight material now. All things being equal I would buy the black again for my use, simply because my boat is kept on a lift in a boat house. Covering the cleats give the spiders one less place to attached and build nests (i will also take all anti-spider suggestions). If I were storing my boat in the sun, I would probably go grey just to possibly keep the temperatures down in the boat.

thepiratemorgan

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
Having a problem with pictures but I will try to upload again later, there is no additional padding on the back of the black cover compared to the grey cover. The only real difference is the rubber covers over the fuel fill spout and the cleats. I would say the black cover is slightly lighter than the original grey cover I had (good or bad) however my grey cover was from 2014. I would bet they are made of the same weight material now. All things being equal I would buy the black again for my use, simply because my boat is kept on a lift in a boat house. Covering the cleats give the spiders one less place to attached and build nests (i will also take all anti-spider suggestions). If I were storing my boat in the sun, I would probably go grey just to possibly keep the temperatures down in the boat.
Thanks for this info Russ. Will use it accordingly when I go to replace my cover.

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Zizzou 192

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
We use the black premium cover.

There used to be a saying that boats could only be 2 colors. White, or black if you were stupid.

The purpose of the black cover I assumed was to burn the swamp bugs out of the boat. It does a great job!

I hate spiders. And insects.

(but only when they are in the boat)

Changed to black mooring and fender lines and fenders to burn them as well.