• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

1st timer 96 Challenger

SirDubbingsly

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
Hello all! New owner of a ‘96 challenger. Just bought and put in the water 6/5. Boat is told to have one owner previously. Fuel line, plugs and starter replaced in shop beforehand. Runs great as far as I can tell. Everything seems to be in the right spot. Body is really clean. Replaced a few lamps but otherwise rock n rollin. Please fire away with questions or warnings, pro tips and otherwise. Super excited for the summer.
Northern michigan, Grand Traverse and Leelanau counties. Docked at home on Long Lake 🤙🏻

Attachments

SirDubbingsly

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
Ok. So oil light did just come on. Not super concerned because oil level looks good. Seems to be purring. What do? And what is the go to oil you guys would use in a ‘96 challenger?

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Oil light is connected to oil tank float.

What engine does it have? 717, 787 or 951? I don't remember what's on this model.

My recommendation due to fuel/carb problems in the past from a 99 Sportster 1800 I had for 13 years is to install a spin on fuel/water separator. best investment I ever made for that boat.

SirDubbingsly

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
Oil light is connected to oil tank float.

What engine does it have? 717, 787 or 951? I don't remember what's on this model.

My recommendation due to fuel/carb problems in the past from a 99 Sportster 1800 I had for 13 years is to install a spin on fuel/water separator. best investment I ever made for that boat.
Thanks beachbummer! I do believe I saw it noted in some paperwork that it was a 787. Im a decent amateur mechanic but must ask where is this separator installed? Am I replacing the fuel filter?

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Yes, in place of the oem fuel filter if its still there.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Where are you located? Academy sells mystic 2 cycle, it's cheap and good. I used amsoil for some time too. You're engine has rave valves, I think you may benefit from synthetic oil.

No favorite brand of the filter, but sierra and moeller both make reasonably priced kits that work.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Our forum here is pretty awesome, but these folks are great too...

Lots of 2 cycle owners over there, and tons of mechanical help. Don't be a stranger. ;-)