• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2.7 F150 Ecoboost

Ancient canoe

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Anyone tow with one? I've only towed a 19' Scarab behind mine and it did fine, curious if anyone has towed anything larger or have had any issues towing? I've never felt like I lacked in power with mine but curious about other real world experiences. I know it's a lot more thirsty towing.

LeeFlan7

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Ancient canoe I run a Ford/Lincoln store...let me know what questions you have, but you shouldn't have any issues towing with any yamaha boat.

jawsf16

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
2013 3.5L Eco tows my AR240 with ease. You should have no problem other than mpg!

Ancient canoe

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I was mainly concerned about it's ability to tow a 24' Yamaha. All the specs seem to come out under the tow limit with room for gear and fuel, but sometimes those specs are generous to what the engine can do. It felt fine with the 19' boat I've pulled, but a lot of vehicles could have pulled that with ease.

SCP1

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I know there is someone on here with a 24' and he has the 2.7 (it's a red one). I know he has talked about how well it does. Honestly if your getting a 2.7 wait for the 18's with the 10 speed. If I could of waited that long that's what I would of got. I ended up with the 3.5 and the 10 speed. My mileage is great compared to my 14 with the 5.0.

Eric Ballard

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My Dad has the Ford F150 with ecoboost. It tows my SX190 like a dream. I use his truck for long hauls and my Nisan Frontier for normal hauls.

Benny Sibbitt

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@Mystic1906 has a new 2.7 f150 ecoboost and tows a new 24ft AR240
He complained about the power and pickup when he first bought it / you have like half the torque
Pretty sure he will chime in

Mystic1906

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Mine is not the Ecoboost. I have the 3.5L V6 with Max Tow package. My truck pulls the boat OK but you feel the lack of power especially on the highway. I drove a 2.7L loaner for 3 days (but did not tow with it) and can tell you that the power difference is very noticeable. If I had to do it again I would go for the 3.5L EB or 5.0 so not as to have any concerns about moving the weight.

Ancient canoe

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yeah if I had a do over I would probably just got the 5.0. The 2.7 gets better mpg when unloaded but it doesn't seem to be a whole lot better, and I always turn the auto start/stop off as well so I don't even take advantage of those fuel savings. @Mystic1906 what is your tow capacity? 7000#?

The 2.7 has 43 more HP and 122 more lb-ft of torque so it should tow better than the standard 3.5 V6. I have the 2 wheel drive supercrew, so my capacity is 7,600#. I am sure it can get the job done safely, but I am hoping for not miserable.

Mystic1906

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My tow capacity with the max package is 7600lbs. Like I said weight wise it can tow but it is severely lacking in power. The fuel consumption is not great either.

SCP1

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Yeah if I had a do over I would probably just got the 5.0. The 2.7 gets better mpg when unloaded but it doesn't seem to be a whole lot better, and I always turn the auto start/stop off as well so I don't even take advantage of those fuel savings. @Mystic1906 what is your tow capacity? 7000#?

The 2.7 has 43 more HP and 122 more lb-ft of torque so it should tow better than the standard 3.5 V6. I have the 2 wheel drive supercrew, so my capacity is 7,600#. I am sure it can get the job done safely, but I am hoping for not miserable.
I honestly think it will outperform the 5.0 towing, however you are not going to get the same mileage as with the 5.0. The tourqe at lower rpm's really makes the difference. I had a rental with the 2.7 as was shocked of the performance.

blacksapphirez

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
whats the MPG with ya'lls setup?

2.7 vs 3.5 and towing a 24 foot

Ramblin Wreck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I'm on my 2nd 2.7 due to getting hit with my 1st. My current 2.7 has 3.55 rear end vs. the standard 3.31. Personally, I can tell significant difference in the driving characteristics and would not want a 3.31 again. I bet the 3.73 would be even better especially while towing. I've yet to pull anything heavy with either, so unfortunately I'm no help there. If @robert843 would let me borrow and trailer his new AR240 back to Georgia in a couple weeks I could then provide a personal review. Just not sure he'll let me do that ;)

If you ever rent a 2.7 or drive one, put it in sport mode. You can have some good fun there.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm on my 2nd 2.7 due to getting hit with my 1st. My current 2.7 has 3.55 rear end vs. the standard 3.31. Personally, I can tell significant difference in the driving characteristics and would not want a 3.31 again. I bet the 3.73 would be even better especially while towing. I've yet to pull anything heavy with either, so unfortunately I'm no help there. If @robert843 would let me borrow and trailer his new AR240 back to Georgia in a couple weeks I could then provide a personal review. Just not sure he'll let me do that ;)

If you ever rent a 2.7 or drive one, put it in sport mode. You can have some good fun there.
The boat is already at the Marina and probably wont see the trailer again till October unless I tow down to Charleston. I can set you up with my double trailer and you can tow both the skis to GA and then down to Florida a few weeks after and I can just come pick the trailer and ski up and drop yours off later in the summer as I wont use my ski much this year if at all. ;)

Ancient canoe

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yeah the lower axle ratios are going to be better for towing. I am guessing Ford made a lot more with the standard 3.31 because they wanted to maximize MPG since that was the main appeal of the engine.

I have a 3.31 supercrew 2wd. They don't even appear to offer the 3.55 in supercrew 2wd.

Ramblin Wreck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Yeah the lower axle ratios are going to be better for towing. I am guessing Ford made a lot more with the standard 3.31 because they wanted to maximize MPG since that was the main appeal of the engine.

I have a 3.31 supercrew 2wd. They don't even appear to offer the 3.55 in supercrew 2wd.
Please share your experience towing heavier weight. I don't think you'll have an issue but would like to hear your opinion of the overall performance.

Ancient canoe

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I don't have any experience towing heavier weight with the 2.7. That's why I started this thread. All I've hauled in my 2.7 was a 19' boat that it did with ease, but that's not much of a test.

Ramblin Wreck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I don't have any experience towing heavier weight with the 2.7. That's why I started this thread. All I've hauled in my 2.7 was a 19' boat that it did with ease, but that's not much of a test.
I gotcha, I guess I assumed you might be upgrading based on your original post.

Ancient canoe

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yeah duh, now I see what you meant. Yeah I'll be getting either a 21' or 24' Yamaha once I see the 2018 models come out. I'll report back on 2.7 towing then.