• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2 stroke help

Yamanator

Reaction score
Boat Make
Tige
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
My AR210 port side motor runs like a top, starts right up. Starboard starts hard and then idles great, just like the other.

I give both throttle and sometimes both hit perfectly out of the hole, but then the starboard drops power back to idle or just above then hits again. Sometimes it doesn't come back and just stays at idle or low throttle. If I throw the throttle back and re-engage it often picks up again but then either shortly after or after a small period it drops down again.

- So far I've ruled out bad gas as I've gone through over 20 gallons. Then put in Seafoam and went several more.
- Checked the spark plugs.
- Checked to make sure the cable wasn't slipping or not engaging (manually pulling the rod does the same thing)
- Fuel filter doesn't look bad.
- Took the air cover off and nothing on the screen.
- Made sure the oil cable engages.

What else could I do? I'm thinking it needs a carb rebuild.

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My AR210 port side motor runs like a top, starts right up. Starboard starts hard and then idles great, just like the other.

I give both throttle and sometimes both hit perfectly out of the hole, but then the starboard drops power back to idle or just above then hits again. Sometimes it doesn't come back and just stays at idle or low throttle. If I throw the throttle back and re-engage it often picks up again but then either shortly after or after a small period it drops down again.

- So far I've ruled out bad gas as I've gone through over 20 gallons. Then put in Seafoam and went several more.
- Checked the spark plugs.
- Checked to make sure the cable wasn't slipping or not engaging (manually pulling the rod does the same thing)
- Fuel filter doesn't look bad.
- Took the air cover off and nothing on the screen.
- Made sure the oil cable engages.

What else could I do? I'm thinking it needs a carb rebuild.
Yes on the carb rebuild. You could switch carb racks and see if the problem follows the carbs. If so, I can recommend jet ski solutions for the rebuild. They come out brand new. It may sound costly but OEM kits cost a bit and this is the heart of those machines.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
I agree carbs to start. If that doesn't wor be sure you have no vaccuum leaks or fuel leaks.
Last thing i can think of is reeds but i actually don't know much about reeds to know how they work

Yamanator

Reaction score
Boat Make
Tige
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Ok, I think I will start with the carbs. I was also wondering about the reeds but this is a different setup than the 2strokes I'm used to.

A lot of people seem to recommend that jet ski solutions. How simple is it to switch the racks?

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It is simple to switch the racks. Thing is you should use new oem gaskets. You can get away with trying to reuse for the quick test but I would make sure to use new gaskets after you decide what you will do long term. There are a few other things this could be but if you haven’t done the carbs in awhile, it will be a great preventative step

Yamanator

Reaction score
Boat Make
Tige
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
It is simple to switch the racks. Thing is you should use new oem gaskets. You can get away with trying to reuse for the quick test but I would make sure to use new gaskets after you decide what you will do long term. There are a few other things this could be but if you haven’t done the carbs in awhile, it will be a great preventative step
I just bought the boat and don't think the kid ever messed with it, so long overdue. He just wanted out of it and I went in to the deal with enough room to replace a motor and more if I had to. I figured on gaskets, good to know it's easy.

It's a damn shame I didn't get to yours in time before you sold it.

Yamanator

Reaction score
Boat Make
Tige
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
As an update I ended up needing a new crank shaft. Had the motor rebuilt.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Wow, would not have expected that from the symptoms at all. Was anything done to the fuel system also? How'd you figure it out?

Yamanator

Reaction score
Boat Make
Tige
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Yes carb rebuild. Ran a little better but same issue. took it to a shop and they saw that the pto crank seal had fallen out of the crank case.