• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2000 seadoo challenger 2000 -need help

Iknowterry

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
Hello, I have a 2000 seadoo challenger 2000. In Dec of 2020 I replaced the motor with a new one. It has a v6 Mercury 240h. Before I replaced the motor it would run about 55 mph but after the best it would do is about 43 mph. I took it back to the boat shop to let them know something isn’t right. They took it to the lake and the motor is doing what it’s supposed to do (45mph at 5000rpms). They said you probably have a wear ring issue. I replaced the wear ring took it to the lake and it wouldn’t start. I did get it to start for a moment, took it out on the lake and the best it would do is 35mph.

I took the boat back to them in Aug 2021 and they can’t figure out why it won’t go any faster. It’s April 12th and still haven’t gotten the boat back yet.

What could bring this boat to life again? I’ve called pretty much every boat shop in town and nobody will touch it. I feel like I’m at the mercy of this boat shop but I don’t feel like they know what is dragging this boat down. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

thank you!
Terry

Sidarousmg

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
Hello, I have a 2000 seadoo challenger 2000. In Dec of 2020 I replaced the motor with a new one. It has a v6 Mercury 240h. Before I replaced the motor it would run about 55 mph but after the best it would do is about 43 mph. I took it back to the boat shop to let them know something isn’t right. They took it to the lake and the motor is doing what it’s supposed to do (45mph at 5000rpms). They said you probably have a wear ring issue. I replaced the wear ring took it to the lake and it wouldn’t start. I did get it to start for a moment, took it out on the lake and the best it would do is 35mph.

I took the boat back to them in Aug 2021 and they can’t figure out why it won’t go any faster. It’s April 12th and still haven’t gotten the boat back yet.

What could bring this boat to life again? I’ve called pretty much every boat shop in town and nobody will touch it. I feel like I’m at the mercy of this boat shop but I don’t feel like they know what is dragging this boat down. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

thank you!
Terry
I don't know much about the Mercury powered Seadoo's, so let me start by asking: on the original motor, when you would hit 55mph, what RPM was the engine running at that speed? is the new motor able to reach those same RPMs now without issues (excessive vibrations, noises, etc)?

Iknowterry

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
I don't know much about the Mercury powered Seadoo's, so let me start by asking: on the original motor, when you would hit 55mph, what RPM was the engine running at that speed? is the new motor able to reach those same RPMs now without issues (excessive vibrations, noises, etc)?
Thank you for reaching out! At 55mph with the old motor was about 5k rpm’s. The new motor does hit 5k rpm’s with no vibrations or noises. I just won’t hit go faster than 35 now.

Sidarousmg

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
since the motor is operating as well as it should, that leads me to believe the issue lies with the jet pump. 3 things can affect how much thrust the pump is able to generate: the wear ring, the impeller, and any debris that could be causing obstructions either at the intake side under the boat, or around the impeller shaft. you said you replaced the wear ring, how did it look when you removed it (any grooves, scratches, marks, etc)? if it did, how does the impeller look? if there was wear or damage to the ring, it's possible the same is true with impeller. pictures would really help us if you have them. do you experience any cavitation when you're accelerating or taking off from idle (feels like a clutch slipping on a manual car)? that would be another indication that the issue is with the pump (either the impeller is worn or you have debris somewhere in the path of the water). I would recommend to take a closer look at the pump and see if anything is amiss. stick your phone up the intake tunnel and take lots of pictures, see if there is something caught on the impeller shaft or if there is any damage to the leading edges of the impeller itself.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I had a seadoo with the same motor and pump. Whenever I had engine problems I found it better to take it to a pwc shop than a boat shop. It doesn’t make sense since the power head is the same as what’s in a merc outboard, it’s just the pump that is different. A yahoo that has worked on seadoo, euroline etc boats with Mercury sport jet engines and pumps should be able to help you out. They problem is finding one since theses engines and pumps were discontinued in 2005 or so. Good luck.