• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2000 Sugar Sand Tango Engine options.

Marlowe2941

Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Tango
Boat Length
I’m looking at a 2000 Sugar Sand Tango that needs an engine. Does anyone know what engines will bolt up to this boat? From what I have been reading it sounds like the power head housing isn’t an issue but the crankshaft and splines may not all be the same. The original 175hp Merc is expensive to fix and parts are hard to find. Will the 200hp Optimax bolt up? Will the newer 210 and 240hp’s bolt up. Does the power head need to be built for a spot jet? I think the outboard power heads may have different crankshafts.

Stomp10

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Tango
Boat Length
I dont know for sure, I only know my 175 but, I believe the exhaust configurations on the others prevent it. Maybe fix it with a new adapter plate but it could be more complicated than that.

Rebuilt 175s are available but shop carefully. See posts from @Bilmon and @Blkrvrbart too.

Blkrvrbart

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Tango
Boat Length
I think there is a pump difference between a 175 and a 210. Whether it’s a 175 or a 210 the cost for repairs or replacement is about the same. The Optimax will not bolt up.
I’d stick with the original engine size and make the hardest decision which is to either fix it right or let someone else deal with it. Get your pricing together, you’ll find if you’re doing the work you can get by for around 5k if you have to replace the engine, or more if someone else is doing the work. A used engine is hard to find, and you really don’t know how hard it’s been ran, so I opted to go with the reman from Outboard Recyclers. Check out my thread in here for the whole process.

I hope the best for you, and if you pm me I’ll try to help you through it. @Bilmon is the ace though! Lots of good folks on here.

Attachments