• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2001 YAMAHA LS2000 BENT STEERING CABLE -- NEED replacement info pls.

JayM

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
Hello,

I have a 2001 Yamaha LS2000 with a bent starboard steering cable. I bought the new cable from SBT. I had a guy who was going to replace it but hes busy and has been putting me off for 2 weeks now. I wanna get out on the water before summers over so i'm going to try to do it myself. I'm pretty handy so I assume I can do it.

Does anyone have a video or step by step replacement instructions they can point me to ? Any help would be greatly appreciated !

Thank you in advance !

JayM

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
@JayM - you can definitely do this in 1 day and lose zero time on the water! I did a bit of a write-up here which should help some: https://jetboaters.net/threads/removing-3m-5200-and-my-steering-cable.7128/
@4x15mph thanks for the reply. I cliked on the link but I only see info about how to get the cable thru the hull cause it was stuck. I'm looking for step by step cause I know I gotta remove the back cover I think where the plugs are. And I think I need to use some type of special sealant to seal around the cable. And I don't know if I need to adjust the cable in a certain way. Am I missing a link or something for your link ? Please let me know Thanks

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Sorry, @JayM , I don't have a step by step but I can send you the service manual if you pm me your email address.

1) you will need to remove the rear cleanout tray. It is about 10 or so phillips head screws and you also need to take off the safety switches in order to lift out the tray. My tray just sits in the cleanout tubes and I don't have any hose clamps but I think some years do (and/or mine were removed).
2) I used 3m 4200 sealant as I do for most sealant. I would not recommend the 3m 5200 since it is very hard to get off if you ever need to.
3) You will fine tune the steering using the threads on the end of the cable to lengthen/shorten. You will put the steering wheel straight along with the jet bucket and then adjust accordingly.
4) for the replacement, you will undo the rear of the cable at the pump, pull it into the cleanout compartment area, tape the new cable to the end, and then have someone up front pull the cable as you feed it. When it comes through to the front (dashboard console area), you can take the tape off and connect it to the linkage

PM with questions and you can call me if you have questions as you do it

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Another trick most of have used is to carefully count the number of turns it takes to remove the end nuts at each end of the steering cable. Write down this number for each end. Use the same number of turns when putting the nuts on the new cable.
I would also replace both cables if they are the same age.

Last edited:

JayM

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
@4x15mph -Thanks for the fast reply and all the info. I'll give it a shot in the next few days. I have to google the 3m 4200 and see where I can get it. Thanks for the offer to call if I need help. Hopefully I wont need to bother you with that lol But i'll keep it in mind if I get stuck.

Thanks again, I appreciate the help !

]Sorry, @JayM , I don't have a step by step but I can send you the service manual if you pm me your email address.

1) you will need to remove the rear cleanout tray. It is about 10 or so phillips head screws and you also need to take off the safety switches in order to lift out the tray. My tray just sits in the cleanout tubes and I don't have any hose clamps but I think some years do (and/or mine were removed).
2) I used 3m 4200 sealant as I do for most sealant. I would not recommend the 3m 5200 since it is very hard to get off if you ever need to.
3) You will fine tune the steering using the threads on the end of the cable to lengthen/shorten. You will put the steering wheel straight along with the jet bucket and then adjust accordingly.
4) for the replacement, you will undo the rear of the cable at the pump, pull it into the cleanout compartment area, tape the new cable to the end, and then have someone up front pull the cable as you feed it. When it comes through to the front (dashboard console area), you can take the tape off and connect it to the linkage

PM with questions and you can call me if you have questions as you do it[/QUOTE]

JayM

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
@Gym Thanks ill keep that in mind ! Thanks for the reply.

QUOTE="Gym, post: 330341, member: 116"]Another trick most of have used is to carefully count the number of turns it takes to remove the end buts at each end of the steering cable. Write down this number for each end. Use the same number of turns when putting the nuts on the new cable.
I would also replace both cables if they are the same age.[/QUOTE]

addisonm06

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
For future reference, Teleflex makes the exact same steering cable... significantly cheaper than OEM.