• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2002 LS2000 "Windshied" Repair...SUCCESS? THANKS DAD!!

treeskier

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
The 4th Nor'easter that came through oscillated the starboard windshield enough to disengage the latch and the wind flipped it up and snapped it off the boat.

Its mostly intact but snapped at the hinge, the so called windshield was forcibly and completely separated from the boat at the hinge (hinge still attached to the boat) and the top of the windshield was damaged as well.

My efforts to find a replacement wee unsuccessful (at any price) and if one could be had it seemed the going rate would be a very steep $600-$750.

I decided to give my father (retired engineer...radar not trains) a crack at repairing it while I continued to search for a replacement. He has had some experience building sail boats and kayaks from wood covered in fiberglass cloth and resin. He has also successfully repaired the roof of a leaking travel trailer using similar materials and techniques.

We were fortunate that the breaks were fairly clean, most of the pieces were on the larger side and we were able to recover nearly all of the missing material.

My father was able to epoxy all of the parts back in place and reinforce the area where the hinge snapped off with fiberglass cloth and resin. He then repaired the top which came out a bit like Dr. Frankenstein's monster (alive but not very pretty). We evened that out by sanding and applying auto body filler until smooth.

Needless to say all of the solvents, glues, fillers and sanding did quite a bit of cosmetic damage to the plastic and our attempt to paint it looked horrendous. So we decided to D.I.Y . vinyl wrap the windshields with a carbon fiber look vinyl that we purchased from Amazon. Honestly I am thrilled with the how the finished product looks and assuming it holds up I am calling this a success.

I also ordered some light weight vinyl coated stainless steel cables to tether the windshield so that it can not slam back against the hinge. I'll post the pictures of the installed finished product once it stops raining long enough to reinstall the windshields.

IMG_0074.JPG IMG_0080.JPG IMG_0081.JPG IMG_0083.JPG IMG_2593.jpg IMG_2614.jpg
IMG_0075.JPG IMG_0078.JPG

Last edited:

M@__

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LX
Boat Length
Nice fix!

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The wrap is impressive! Well done!

addisonm06

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
Awesome job! Cannot wait to hear how it holds up!

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Looks better than new and it was probably some fun to work with your father on this. Win-win

Kirby Kelley

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LX
Boat Length
Looks nice, I have been thinking about wrapping mine in vinyl also.

treeskier

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Here is the nearly finished product

It finally stooped raining today (after 6.5 in of rain yesterday) long enough to re-install the wrapped windshields. I added light weight vinyl coated stainless steel cables to tether the windshields and keep them from opening past 90 degrees. This allows them to stay open on their own but not allow the weight of the windshield to rest against the hinge. I have a light weight snap hook on one end to allow the cable to be disconnected in order to remove the storage bins. It is my hope that this will prevent any further damage. It will be interesting to see how the wrap holds up to the salt water and heat but it is meant to be used on car hoods so I am optimistic. Its not a perfect install with a few wrinkles here and there but the imperfections are small and in my opinion its an improvement on the 16 year old plastic. I plan to re-do it later or clean up the underside after I am sure its a permanent fix.

IMG_2622.jpg

IMG_2623.jpg

IMG_2624.jpg

Emiliorfm

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
Does anyone know where I can get the windshields for my LS2000 call

treeskier

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I believe they are only available as used reclaimed parts. They can be astronomically expensive which is why we repaired the ones in this thread.

Emiliorfm

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
If I understand, it doesn't matter if they get them repaired, I'm interested since when I bought the boat I didn't have them, if you can give me an estimate of how much they can be used

treeskier

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Got it. I haven’t looked in a long time but 5 years ago they were $500 - $600 each. Also they are not identical so there are left and right windshields and to make matters worse the model years are not necessarily interchangeable. It’s a tough situation.