• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2002 Seadoo sportster LE no beep no start

stella

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Sportster
Boat Length
2002 Seadoo sportster LE currently have no beep with the harness and not starting. Any suggestions?

2002 Seadoo sportster LE currently have no beep with the harness and not starting. Any suggestions?
Do the RPM gauges move when you put the dess key on?

Do the RPM gauges move when you put the dess key on?
no nothing. Do you have any suggestions. I replaced the battery and terminals and still nothing

Last edited:
If it’s getting power the dess key likely needs to be reprogrammed. Also check the wires behind the post. Do you have a second key to try?

If it’s getting power the dess key likely needs to be reprogrammed. Also check the wires behind the post. Do you have a second key to try?
no never got a second key. How do you reprogram it?

It requires a programmer or dealer to do it. You can also try and put a dab of dielectric grease on the metal contact. Not sure why they stop working but if you google it it’s fairly common I had one of mine on my old SeaDoo stop working. Eventually when I took it in for service the dealer just reprogrammed it for me.

This happened to me once and it was because the metal tab on the inside of the DESS key was bent and slightly corroded, I bent it back and cleaned up the corrosion and it beeped twice and started right away. Ever since I now put the metal tab on the edge of the post and roll the rest of the key on the post. Never had this problem again.

Try putting dielectric grease on it

I think this may be my problem. Not getting a good ground. Alot of rust in where starter and coil are. See pic. going to wire brush the connectors and clean everything out.

Attachments

• electrical.png
    electrical.png
    415.9 KB · Views: 8
This happened to me once and it was because the metal tab on the inside of the DESS key was bent and slightly corroded, I bent it back and cleaned up the corrosion and it beeped twice and started right away. Ever since I now put the metal tab on the edge of the post and roll the rest of the key on the post. Never had this problem again.
I will try this as well. Thanks

Good luck. Let us know what works. FWIW, after I fixed my DESS problem, the following summer it was hard to start because the engine turned over very slowly. I tried charging the battery without success and then last year it was just clicking without turning over. Changed the solenoid and now it starts like a charm

Back