• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2002 Sugar Sand won't start in water

Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Tango
Boat Length
I have 2002 Sugar Sand Tango Xtream with 240 hp Mercury. I bought it Friday and it test ran great. I used it 4 more times through the weekend and it ran great. Yesterday, I took it out on the lake and it ran fine for about an hour. The girls were tubbing. When I shut it off to swap out tow folks, it would not start up. I tried for over an hour to get it to start but it would not. It turned over but would not start. I even let it sit for a bit several times with no luck so had to get a tow. I tried to start it full throttle in case it was flooded. When I put it up on the trailer, it started right up. I fueled it up at the same place the last 2 times. I did contact the previous owner but he had never had that happen to him. He had recently change out throttle position sensor a while back and recently the temp sensor but it has been running fine. Any ideas? I haven't found a service place yet near me that works on them.

Bilmon

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Mirage
Boat Length
Make sure your battery is good and fully charged, I've seen your exact symptoms and it has turned out to be battery each time. These things are super sensitive on voltage, they can turn over fine but not have enough to fire the electronics some times, just as you are experiencing. It will start on trailer but the added load when it's in the water is enough to keep it from starting. I'm almost certain this is going to be your problem. Welcome aboard and good luck. The Tango's with the 240 are still some of the fastest jets around. My son's 07 will top 60 and my 03 Mirage will crack 55

Bill

Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Tango
Boat Length
I brought the battery into autozone and they tried to charge it but it never got over 60%. It was bad so brought it back for warranty and it worked great. Thanks again. The fuel gauge for some reason stopped working while I was out there so need to troubleshoot that.