• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2003 Sr230 no power on dash

jakeymel

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SR
Boat Length
Hello, I just acquired a 2003 Sr230 with twin MR1 engines. I don't know the history of this boat, but I'm trying to diagnose no power to ignition. I have fresh batteries installed, the switches work (fan, horn, etc), however there is no power to the dash (battery Guage etc) and turning keys does nothing. There are 3 fuses for each engine, a 20amp, 5 and 3, and the 3amp fuse for each engine seems loose in the socket, but they are all intact. I jiggled the lanyard and it seems to be on good. Any ideas where to start diagnosing?

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Glad to have you on board,

Has it ever worked since you bought the boat ?

I believe it's a pretty simple design but I think you're going to have to break out the multi-meter to try to track it down,

If the throttles aren't in neutral it won't crank but that wouldn't affect your battery gauge,

jakeymel

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SR
Boat Length
Yes, when I got the boat the dash back lit lights turned on, battery Guage turned on, and the port side engine cranked, however not the starboard one. Now the dash seems dead, with no backlights, nothing happening when turning key. The switches however are working, I see the navigation lights turn on, horn works, blower, etc. Throttle position is in neutral, however even still I believe the dash should work regardless (I also checked the rear inspection hatch switches).

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
since one engine and the other dash back lights worked and now don't,

Have you done or touched anything electrical ?
Did you change those fuses?
Did you charge or disconnect the battery?

Guessing you haven't done another splicing or dicing, I'd start with the obvious,
Check the fuses again in the ECU near the engine,
if you have power on both sides I'd start checking the wires behind the dash,

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
There should be a 20 amp house circuit fuse near the battery. It will be in the house circuit positive wire in an inline fuse holder.

In stock configuration I believe there will be three positive leads and three negatives to the battery. One to each engine plus the house circuit.

The engines will start and tachs will operate without the house circuit.

jakeymel

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SR
Boat Length
Correction, dash lights are working. House fuse is good, I pulled it and all electronics shut off, put it back in and they turned back on. Another correction, there is 20 amp fuse, and two 3 amp fuses.

Friend of mine was probing the bottom terminals of fuse box, see attached picture, and there was some flickering of life on dash display, so I'm thinking the problem lies somewhere here. Anything I can test with a multimeter? 20210330_204323.jpg

Robert Dudley

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Correction, dash lights are working. House fuse is good, I pulled it and all electronics shut off, put it back in and they turned back on. Another correction, there is 20 amp fuse, and two 3 amp fuses.

Friend of mine was probing the bottom terminals of fuse box, see attached picture, and there was some flickering of life on dash display, so I'm thinking the problem lies somewhere here. Anything I can test with a multimeter? View attachment 145684
I am having the exact same issue after replacing both engines. Did you ever find the source of the problem?