• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2003 SR230 - Remove Engine

skofroth

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SR
Boat Length
Trying to follow the SBT write up on engine removal of an MR1, but the jet ski they are doing is not quite the same as my 2003 SR230. The problem I'm currently running into is removal of the lower half of the air box on my port side engine. Does anyone know how to get at the one bolt under the air box on the port engine, starboard side of box? There are three bolts accessible, but a fourth can only be reached if that lower half of the air box is out of the way. I've decided to pull the engine out after struggling to remove the exhaust manifold. I have most of the exhaust system out, but those 10 bolts on the bottom of the manifold, upside down, were just ridiculous. I thought it would be better to pull the engine so that everything can go back into place on the exhaust system and be torqued properly. The engine was leaking water back into the exhaust valve area - Seal - Joint, Exhaust 2 60E-14625-00-00 was blown out. So, I'm stuck trying to get the last half of the exhaust line removed from the engine.

Last edited:

WREKS

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Is engine out?

skofroth

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SR
Boat Length
No. Had enough for one day. Further viewing of the service manual indicates that the section I'm trying to remove actually stays in place. So, I've answered my own question! Seal (#17) blown out! I want to disassemble the entire exhaust, clean it all out, reassemble with new gaskets.
1621212731271.png

Attachments

Last edited:

Brad_Ct

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Yes the bottom half of the air box needs to come off to get that back bolt out. You need to disconnect the throttle cable, fuel line, vent hose, the three bolts on top and the four clamps on the intake boots.