• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2004 AR 210 Water in Engine Compartment: 1 Engine Won't Start Now

MattC213

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Good evening Everyone,

I left my AR210 in the water from 7/5 to 7/10 at a family house in south Jersey on the bay. I was out of town for work last week and apparently south Jersey received a good amount of rain towards the end of the week. My dad was supposed to keep an eye on the boat for me but he didn't. Upon my return Saturday 7/10, the swim platform was roughly 4-6" submerged. I couldn't believe my eyes.. I immediately grabbed a sub pump, hooked it up as well as ran the bilge pump knowing it would most likely kill my battery (which it did). The engines were partially submerged, maybe 8-10" of water in the engine compartment. I charged the battery and the 1 engine fired right up. However, the second engine won't start. When I turn the key I'm getting a crank here and there but its minimal at that. I checked my connections and cleaned all the terminals, everything looks good. I noticed the starter was submerged and I'm thinking that might be the issue but I'm not positive.

This couldn't be worse timing as I'm moving South for a new job in 3 weeks and I'm selling the boat. If it's the starter I can replace that myself. However, I'm fearful it could be something worse. Any advice or insight is greatly appreciated! Thank you all in advance!

Matt C.

Good chance salt water is affecting the starter.............you could take out the plugs this will allow the engine to turn over easy......might clean off some of the corrosion enough to allow a start when plugs go back in, worth a try.

Hi David, thank you for the advice! I'm going to give it a try this weekend. I'm also looking to purchase a starter but need to find one that will deliver ASAP. I'll be sure to let you know how I make out. Thanks again!

Matt C.

Let me guess, port side is not starting?

Starboard engine is the 1 that won't start. Which is a relief all things considered, I can access the starter much easier and more room to work then if it was port side engine.

Did you ever figure out what the problem was? I am having the same issue with the SB motor not starting and I have checked the normal list.

Back