• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2005 AR230 - Driveshaft Grooves

JodyHarrison

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Going to go on ahead and dive on my sword here. Yes, the 2nd time out I sucked up the tube rope and have received a great education on the jet pumps. However, I could not have fixed it without all of the great info you guys have here. Thank you for a great forum.

I replaced the bearings in both jet pumps but while I had the Starboard drive shaft out I noticed grooves worn into the drive shaft. The Port side was smooth as it should be but the Starboard has what I would consider pretty deep grooves up close to the splines and some closer to the impeller. I put everything back together and installed it back in the boat but it is just bothering me knowing the grooves are in the shaft. I feel like I need to replace it but also hate to spend the money if it is not needed.

Thoughts?

Starboard Drive Shaft.jpeg

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
those grooves would be aft of the hull fitting aren't they ? you could see the grooves in the jet tunnel while the impeller is installed ?

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
If you are not experiencing any cavitation or loss in performance I think you should keep using the grooved drive shaft but start looking for a new or used spare as well.

JodyHarrison

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
yes sir, that is correct.

I'm not sure if it affects performance because I had only taken the boat out 3 times since I bought it. Once for about 30 minutes test driving, the 2nd time for about an hour just trying to get a feel for it, then about 20 minutes before I sucked up a rope which led to all of this. :) Oh what joy! hahahaha

But, even had I not sucked up the rope, I would have been at this point anyway. When I was changing the bearings, they did not feel good at all. Very rough feeling and would catch as I tried turning them. So really, I am glad it happened when it did.