• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2005 Yamaha 230 SX Throttle Questions

gotroxs

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Being new to jet boats, I have a question on how far and back do you need go for the throttle controls to engage the motor. I seem I have to go about halfway forward and halfway back before the motor gets any power. This get pretty bad when trying to dock as I have to go almost 90 degrees from forward to reverse. Is this normal and how can I adjust this if it is not?

Acard7

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
There’s neutral, forward, and reverse detents that controls the buckets. Forward detent the buckets clear the nozzles and in reverse detent the buckets cover the nozzles, so it’s not a true reverse bcuz it’s just forcing water under the boat = less responsive. Neutral detent is not a true neutral either bcuz the buckets are covering all but an inch or so over the nozzles so you still have forward movement, that’s why it’s crucial you turn the motor off once you’re parked. Just figured I would say that first.

The best method I’ve done in my newbie year of owning a jet boat is once I enter the no wake area I slow down and put it in just the forward detent, so basically idle speed towards the dock now. Have patience as it takes a minute for you to gain complete control in only the forward detent, I average around 2-3mph GPS. Pending wind conditions I’ll take a 30-45 degree angle, once I’m about to enter my parking spot (maybe a boat length away from start of the dock & maybe 2.5-3 boat lengths away from where i would hit the bow on the dock) I move it to the reverse detent and turn the wheel towards the dock so the stern starts going to the dock, at this time I may actually have to give it some throttle in reverse to slow myself so I don’t hit the dock, and sometimes may have to straighten the wheel as well if the stern is already lining up well. I’ve done this method all season and I’ve gotten pretty good at it.

As always make sure you have a plan, get your dock lines ready and bumpers ready. If you don’t feel like it’s a good try don’t sweat it and back off and try again, don’t let anyone pressure you into going any faster then you want to hit the dock.

Reverse is definitely tricky in our jet boats due to the impeller still turning the same way and just forcing water under the boat, this is why you have to give it some throttle to slow down faster. This is also how my buddy found out how untrue reverse is and I had some gel coat repair this off season lol.

Last edited: