• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2006 SR210 - Engine noise ?

YamahaCC

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SR
Boat Length
I've had this 2006 SR 2010 for a number of years and it is really is in great condition. I noticed the port engine was a bit louder on one of my last trips. I went out today and there is no question now. The starboard is smooth and 'quiet' at idle but the port visible shakes a bit and is 'noisy'. Once you bring them up over 2k the port smooths out and it not as noticeable. Both engines top out at 8,200 and there are no 'check engine' lights on. It had new plugs this spring and all connections are tight.

It does not seem to be a misfire issue, I'm curious if this is a sign of a the housing bearing starting to fail?

Here is a video.....stb engine running first, then the port one with the noise, then back to the stb.
SR210 Port Engine Noise

Oil is clean and level it right where it should be as well. Open your thoughts, thank you!

(small bit of water in the engine bay is from water dripping between the hatch on top - kids were jumping off the bow and going 'round and 'round)

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Sounds like a misfire to me. I think I would start by pulling the pump to eliminate any mechanical issues and then change plugs again. Keep us posted.

YamahaCC

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SR
Boat Length
Sounds like a misfire to me. I think I would start by pulling the pump to eliminate any mechanical issues and then change plugs again. Keep us posted.
Thanks for your thoughts. The boat is kept in the water so I plan to start with taking compression just to confirm, if all looks well I will install 4 new coils and 4 plugs. If that does not do the trick I fear it might be one of the bearings. I will haul it the pull the pump to see what happens to help, as you say, eliminate as much as possible. Given I have not gotten any codes and she turns up where it should...and I hear a bit of 'metal noise'....I have a feeling the plugs/coils are not it, but it is the easiest to start with so I will cross my fingers.

YamahaCC

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SR
Boat Length
So....I removed the plugs, all looked 'ok', gap was even on all, no damage. I took compression and it is equal on all four cylinders. I installed new plugs and new coils. Fired it up and the same noise persists. The other engine is just so smooth and quiet. Once you get above 2k it smooths out, but still is louder and has a deeper tone.

I guess my next step is to haul the boat and remove the pump and inspect there.

Brad_Ct

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Our 06 SX230 makes a clanking noise also Thant I have tracked down to the gear reduction unit at the rear of the engine. If you rotate the coupler back and forth you will see that there is a bit of play.

YamahaCC

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SR
Boat Length
***Update***
Upon winterization my tech found water in the oil:
image000000.JPG

He narrowed down and ID'ed the leak to where the metal pipe enters into the valve cover. It seem that o-ring and gasket below was allowing water through.

This was probably the reason for rougher idle it was experiancing this summer. I checked the oil back in early august and did not see any issue but I was not looking too close, only at the level, and I did not catch it being milky at that point in time. I only used it a few times, if that, after that.

I am crossing my finger that is the source of the issue I was having. Parts will be here today, going to end up doing the other engine was well just to be proactive even though that one was fine, summer is short here!

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
another great example on why you should check your oil on every outing,

normally we see chocolate milkshake, that looks like vanilla !! strange that the oil in the reservoir still looks dark, normally it's discolored also,
maybe you saw the dark oil on the stick and didn't notice the white foam further up ??

The sooner you catch it the less chance of damaging the engine internals, It only takes a minute to check and I usually do it either before guest board, if we have a boat full or if it's just the kids when we put the first ones in the water, it also gives you a chance to make sure there's not any unusual water in the engine compartment,

YamahaCC

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SR
Boat Length
I have a feeling I will be checking the oil more often. I usually do it a few times per season, not every outing though.

Since it is kept in the water July-September I do have my routine.

• The clean out plugs are left in place but pulled every time I uncover the boat prior to use. I reach in and feel for anything that has floated into the intakes (a massive eel found a home in there the one time I did not check before hauling for the season, impeller cut it but not enough to shoot it out and it caused an overheat idling to the ramp!) I also pull the plugs and place them back in after I am done for the day.
  • I open the engine hatch and check for water/fumes in the bilge before putting the keys in the ignition.
  • I open the engine hatch and check for water before covering it back up for the day, can see if there is any changes from the morning and if there is cause for concern.
  • Every few outings I would check the oil level, never had a need to add any in the past so it was not high on my list to keep on top of with every use.