• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2007-2009 230 clean out hatch needed

PaulyB

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I picked up a 2007 sx230 a few weeks ago. The clean out hatch is soft in it. If anyone has a boat that was recently destroyed in a hurricane or if anyone knows of any salvage boat places that may have one, i`d love to know about it.

Thanks!

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

PaulyB

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
uggh, I Know the feeling, did you see this link in the FAQ, I documented my rot fix,
https://jetboaters.net/faq/how-to-repair-fiberglass-fix-wood-rot-underneath.136/

doing it over again, in my situation, I think I would dremel from the bottom around the edges and just remove the entire underside, put a new piece of wood and fiberglass over it, it would have been easier and better,
I saw it after I posted.... I am looking for a salvage one honestly. I had one off a salvage boat I had, but my father threw it out

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If you consider any pour-able compound for this fix, I would get this (I think it's available in smaller quantities, albeit I used to buy it in 5gal pails)
upload_2018-11-28_13-9-37.png

It is stronger than marine ply by a factor of 10 or more. Crazy strong, light, and (relatively) easy to work with as it is formulated to not heat up too too much even when larger/bulk quantities are mixed and poured.
I did a couple of jobs with that, was very impressed.
This one was the best - a completely shot transom, I just cleaned up and poured between the outer and inner skins and "shelled out" stingers. After the repair the whole stern was stronger than the rest of the hull... and would sound like a bell.
upload_2018-11-28_13-18-3.png
upload_2018-11-28_13-18-33.png

upload_2018-11-28_13-23-22.png

upload_2018-11-28_13-23-40.png

--

PaulyB

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So I am back at this. @Scottintexas , I have a router, you think I should just cut all the material out from under the top and replace with plywood? and @swatski you think i should paint the carbon core on top of the plywood after I replace the internals?

Just trying to get a plan together....

Thanks guys!

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So I am back at this. @Scottintexas , I have a router, you think I should just cut all the material out from under the top and replace with plywood? and @swatski you think i should paint the carbon core on top of the plywood after I replace the internals?

Just trying to get a plan together....

Thanks guys!
If you go with carbon core (or some similar transom rebuilding compound) I would plan plan on a coat of something on top, gel coat of paint, as that material is pretty porous. You will love it though, stuff is light but stronger than heck.

PaulyB

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If you go with carbon core (or some similar transom rebuilding compound) I would plan plan on a coat of something on top, gel coat of paint, as that material is pretty porous. You will love it though, stuff is light but stronger than heck.

So i just looked this place up. They are located in my county and I have never heard of it before...

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I think I would still try to cut it all out if I had to do it again, I just spent so long smashing a rod to try to create holes to get the mix deep and gravity feeding it waiting for it to penetrate, it was a multiple day process and I'm more a single day guy,

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Paulyb - what was the outcome on this?

PaulyB

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I ended up taking it to a local shop, they charged me 800 and put in some type of hardening core and make it useable again. It seems to be working well so far. I'll try to get the name of the stuff they used in the next few days.

PaulyB

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length