• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2007 Yamaha SX 230 - warm water in engine and galloons out transom plug (drain)

rgorajia

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Morning YJB fam - I'm in a bit of a pickle here where I think I know what I need to do but I need some reassurance to make sure I'm not off my tilt here.
2007 Yamaha sx 230 as indicated and I've been reading a tremendous amount of knowledge on the forums to troubleshoot (thank you!)
I opened up the cleanout tray two weeks ago and noticed at least 5-6 hose clamps rusted and broken off sitting at the bottom of the bilge; I ran over to h/w store and replaced all of them and made sure they are all snug and secure. Removed all small debris and took a look around for any odd objects. Only thing I found was a plastic hose sleeve that was just lying around with which I couldn't find where it belonged. I removed it for now and have it handy.

I also noticed the bilge pump holder at the back of the engine compartment is empty (no bilge pump), however, when I hit the bilge pump switch; i hear a buzzing sound and a pump going on and off. I wanted to troubleshoot by a) seeing if the bilge pump still works and b) where is this bilge pump. When I opened the cleanout tray - the bilge pump is not there.

I launched yesterday; cruised the marina at 3k rpm's mostly and took it out of the no wake zone for 5 minutes to check for bilge/pee hole operation. Here are my observations:
Aft Pee holes - both work and are giving minimal flow at 3000 rpm and increase during higher rpms
Fore pee holes (exhaust) - only engage at higher rpm's and have a strong and steady flow under RPMS
Bilge pump hole never pushed any water out - - I also noticed throughout the day the bilge pump switch circuit would trip (huge indicator something is wrong)

I pull back to my wet-slip and open up the engine hatch. The engine had about 4-5 inches of water. It is NOT hot but it is warm. I'm not sure if this is from heat from the exhaust/engine manifolds or do I have water coming on from somewhere else? To additional troubleshoot. - I check the center storage (lifejacket storage) area, it also has water in there (2 inches?).

I immediately take the boat to the trailer and pull it out. I keep the transom plug in and try to find any area water is coming out of without me draining it out of the obvious transom/drain plug. No leaks. I pull the transom plug and (link below) the water poured out for a solid 5-10 minutes at a heavy rate (as expected from what I saw). Video: New video by Ronak Gorajia

If you made it this far in my rant; I really appreciate you and your feedback.
Questions:
A) where is my bilge pump, I cannot locate it. It isnt in the bilge area (under cleanout tray) so is it stuck between the clean out tray area and the engine hatch..I've read there is some "true bilge" area in that location.
b) Do i have something else I need to address (since water was warm) or should I start with the easiest thing first (bilge + 2nd bilge/float ) and then see how the boat performs.
c) If i had a bilge; is it normal for the boat to have this type of water load on?
d) Any thoughts where this hose sleeve should belong?

Attachments

WREKS

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Bilge pump is located in floor at back of engine bay between motors under white corrugated deck drain hose. Make sure white plastic fitting and rubber flap is still intact on outside of transom. That white plastic fitting is for the deck drain hose (white corrugated hose between motors in your pictures).

rgorajia

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Bilge pump is located in floor at back of engine bay between motors under white corrugated deck drain hose. Make sure white plastic fitting and rubber flap is still intact on outside of transom. That white plastic fitting is for the deck drain hose (white corrugated hose between motors in your pictures).
Hi Wreks ; yes i know where the bilge pump should be but it isn't there; curious if it made its way through the hole into the "true bilge area" or was the bilge setup in that area from day 1 since that is where the thru-hill fitting is.
Secondly - the scupper is not cracked and is intact. I tested it

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Well, you have 2 distinct tasks ahead.
1-Find where the bilge pump ended up... If you can hear it, it's near by. you can follow the hose by sight from the side of the boat. Perhaps behind the engines?

2-Find the leak. You may need to pull the rear cover, but with this much water it should be apparent once you are looking with a strong flashlight. with this amount of water I'd look first while engines are off, then start only one engine with some power (say 3K) and then alternate to the other while you look carefully for incoming water. Ear protection is your friend here, as if you still can;t see it, you may need to get the boat moving, and the engines are LOUD while the cover is open.

The 12v breakers do go bad. Try replacing that before you replace much else if you can't find a short that is causing the breaker to trip.

Best of Luck.

1WetBoat

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
.....Only thing I found was a plastic hose sleeve that was just lying around with which I couldn't find where it belonged. I removed it for now and have it handy.

d) Any thoughts where this hose sleeve should belong?
Can you post a picture of that sleeve? It could be from the transom where the control cables come thru or worse it could be sleeve that covers the impeller shaft where it enters the hull. I think that would leak like crazy if missing but you never know.

1626716981400.png