• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2008 180 challenger high voltage P0536

Roush

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
Hi, my 180 challenger is indicating a high 12v warning light. Code reading is P0536. I checked the owners manual and all it recommends is to take it to a BRP Certified dealer. Before i do, I wanted know if anybody has experienced this and maybe have any suggestions or quick easy fix?

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hi, my 180 challenger is indicating a high 12v warning light. Code reading is P0536. I checked the owners manual and all it recommends is to take it to a BRP Certified dealer. Before i do, I wanted know if anybody has experienced this and maybe have any suggestions or quick easy fix?
Do you have multimeter that you could use to check the actual voltage? I would check across the battery poles with the engine off then with it running. If the voltage is less than 14 in both tests then the boats voltage sensor is likely the issue. If the voltage is above 14 only when the engine is running then your alternator likely has a bad voltage regulator.

Have you switched to some type of battery that produces higher voltage?

Roush

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
Ok awesome! Thanks Bruce for addressing some possibilities!

I'll check it out and let you know. I did recently get a new battery. But i didn't notice an indication until the second time taking it out. Usually around 3500-4000 RPMs i get the msg but then it goes away.

ToddW850

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Same boat, same troubleshooting procedure as linked above. I still have that spare voltage regulator too!

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Roush, @veedubtek found his issue to be a fuse. So I would check that one.

Since your problem occurs at higher RPMs I am guessing that it is the voltage regulator. @veedubtek has one if you need it.

Roush

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
Ok cool, thank you gentlemen for all the input. I've looked over the related posts that are recommended. I'll definitely be checking for any damaged fuses first!

I'll try to let you guys know my fix by Friday.

Roush

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
Super successful weekend!!

You guys were spot on!! It was a simple blown fuse. I just swapped both 30a fuse to charger and battery and hit top speed and high rpms with no issues whatsoever!

Although this fix was pretty simple. I would have overlooked it and sent it directly to the dealer and who knows how much money i just saved.

Once again thank you guys for the advice. I'm very excited to have join this community of jetboaters. I look forward to sharing future mods and giving and receiving friendly tips from other fellow jetboaters..

20160508_225936.jpg 20160508_230354.jpg