• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2008 212x or 2008 AR230

Mlindie4

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hello, your formum has been very informative. We have had several boats, but they have all been traditional sterndrive or ski boats. We just sold our wakeboard boat and decided we want something taller and more family-friendly. We do a lot of water sports and my husband has found an AR 212 X he loves. I like the bigger AR 230. Typically it’s two adults and two children, but it’s often it’s up to four adults and three or four kids. The price is close on both boats. The Ar 230 has had the upholustry redone and had more hours. The 212 X is very low hours and in pristine condition. There are not a lot of options around here as most boats seem to be on the East Coast. We live in southern Utah. Is the 212 X big enough for Lake Powell and Lake Mead? We’ve never had problems on any of our boats even a short 21’ wakeboard boat. I just don’t want to buy something too small and wish we’d gone a couple feet bigger. He feels like the 212x as he feels it’s more suited to all the water sports we do. Would love your opinions. Thank you

You will hear a couple people on here tell you the 212x is the boat they wish they had. I bought mine last year and have no regrets. The ballast needs improved before wakesports are realistic. Other than that both boats are nearly bullet proof, im sure @swatski will chime in with some links here on both boats in a few min

Hello, your formum has been very informative. We have had several boats, but they have all been traditional sterndrive or ski boats. We just sold our wakeboard boat and decided we want something taller and more family-friendly. We do a lot of water sports and my husband has found an AR 212 X he loves. I like the bigger AR 230. Typically it’s two adults and two children, but it’s often it’s up to four adults and three or four kids. The price is close on both boats. The Ar 230 has had the upholustry redone and had more hours. The 212 X is very low hours and in pristine condition. There are not a lot of options around here as most boats seem to be on the East Coast. We live in southern Utah. Is the 212 X big enough for Lake Powell and Lake Mead? We’ve never had problems on any of our boats even a short 21’ wakeboard boat. I just don’t want to buy something too small and wish we’d gone a couple feet bigger. He feels like the 212x as he feels it’s more suited to all the water sports we do. Would love your opinions. Thank you
Space-wise the 230 does not add that much, but it does have higher free board and will do way better in chop. It will be comparable to your old 21, as the Yamaha hulls include the swim deck in the LOA which makes them about 2-3ft shorter in reality as compared to a traditional transom-ed vessel.
Both have the Yamaha legendary MR-1 HO engines which routinely last for over 2,000 hours in rentals.

Can;t go wrong with either. Yamahas made in 2008-2009 are about the best boats Yamaha ever made as far as quality control.

Personally, as much as I love the 212Xs I would probably go for the 230 (of course that could be different upon seeing the two) - lake Mead and Powell can have brutal chop. I have never been on the Powell, but have been impressed with Lake Mead waves when it gets windy!

--

Can;t go wrong with either. Yamahas made in 2008-2009 are about the best boats Yamaha ever made as far as quality control.

Personally, as much as I love the 212Xs I would probably go for the 230 (of course that could be different upon seeing the two) - lake Mead and Powell can have brutal chop. I have never been on the Powell, but have been impressed with Lake Mead waves when it gets windy!

--
Wait, the 07's just got snubbed.;) We Love ours! Add trim tabs, they make a big difference in chop. Many of us do.

Wow, that is so helpful!! Thank you. Any questions I should ask the seller that Is specific to this type of boat?

The 212X will take a wave over the bow easier than the AR230. If that is a potential lake issue then bear that in mind.
Both boats will serve you well. We play on our 212X all summer and are wearing it out as fast as we can. We find the factory ballast is fine for us. We have a Wake Wedge which helps with surfing.
Obtaining maintenance records would be the highest priority for me. I would want to see the owner was engaged. Hours would not have too much bearing on my decision.
Please keep us posted on your adventure. Either boat will help produce some lifetime memories for your family.

The styling is quite different. Wider vs longer bow. Be sure to look at both in person and consider that in your decision.

You all have been so helpful. The AR230 is being sold by the original owner. It has been maintained by the same dealer since it was bought in 2008. We are going up to look at it on Monday and taking it to the dealer who has serviced it to check the hours etc. The 212 is being sold by a dealer. It has low hours and they don't know anything else about it. The dealer has told us he went over it when he took it in on trade. The dealer who has it is not a Yamaha dealer. The AR230 is a little flexible on price. He has also replaced all the upholstery.
If I were only in Texas or Florida they are all over in these great states :)

Space-wise the 230 does not add that much, but it does have higher free board and will do way better in chop. It will be comparable to your old 21, as the Yamaha hulls include the swim deck in the LOA which makes them about 2-3ft shorter in reality as compared to a traditional transom-ed vessel.
Both have the Yamaha legendary MR-1 HO engines which routinely last for over 2,000 hours in rentals.

--

Love the family picture! We spend a lot of time on Lake Mead too. The local lakes in this are great for any boat. We have a small one 15 minutes from our house that we often have all to ourselves except for a few kayaks.

You all have been so helpful. The AR230 is being sold by the original owner. It has been maintained by the same dealer since it was bought in 2008. We are going up to look at it on Monday and taking it to the dealer who has serviced it to check the hours etc. The 212 is being sold by a dealer. It has low hours and they don't know anything else about it. The dealer has told us he went over it when he took it in on trade. The dealer who has it is not a Yamaha dealer. The AR230 is a little flexible on price. He has also replaced all the upholstery.
If I were only in Texas or Florida they are all over in these great states :)
Any chance you would be able to do a water test? Mechanically, these boats tend to be pretty sound when maintained, but a water test would clear most questions. You would expect very fast acceleration (the impellers rev much faster than regular props) with minimal "cavitation" (impeller slippage) and about 10,000RPM and 45+mph at WOT from both engines. Maybe a little less given your elevation.
These boats are different as far as handling, rev much higher and tend to be louder as compared to traditional (non-jet).
The benefits are MANY and they are just phenomenally versatile as far as sport/family boats.

--

When I sold my LS2000, I targeted either a 212 or a 230 and was going to take the first best deal. I ended up with a 2008 SX230 (SAME BOAT AS AR MINUS THE TOWER) and havent looked back. I almost pulled the trigger on a 212 but was glad I did not. Contrary to any photos, the 230 layout allows much more room than a 212. 23 footer vs a 21 footer and yes the 2 feet make a huge difference. Either boat will be excellent however; the 212 will obviously be quicker as it weighs less than a 230, but they have the same power plant. The 230 is heavier, but has plenty of power. Below is a video of our first weekend out with the 230, years ago when it was new to me in 2013. All I had to do to this boat besides clean and wax is change the oil and plugs every season. Just turn the key and go.

By the way, you didnt mention the price. I'd be happy to get 20K for my 2008 in pristine condition, which is in reality is a 2011 as it was bought new in 2011. So use this price as a gauge. Rest assured my 2008 is one of the best cared for 2008 SX230 in the USA, if not the best. So what are the prices of the ones you are looking at?

Here is the link: (by the way, the guy on the left side of the tube in the opening tube wreck just finished his college football career (Clemson center) dominating the Outland Trophy winner from Bama in the title game a few weeks ago)

When I sold my LS2000, I targeted either a 212 or a 230 and was going to take the first best deal. I ended up with a 2008 SX230 (SAME BOAT AS AR MINUS THE TOWER) and havent looked back. I almost pulled the trigger on a 212 but was glad I did not. Contrary to any photos, the 230 layout allows much more room than a 212. 23 footer vs a 21 footer and yes the 2 feet make a huge difference. Either boat will be excellent however; the 212 will obviously be quicker as it weighs less than a 230, but they have the same power plant. The 230 is heavier, but has plenty of power. Below is a video of our first weekend out with the 230, years ago when it was new to me in 2013. All I had to do to this boat besides clean and wax is change the oil and plugs every season. Just turn the key and go.

By the way, you didnt mention the price. I'd be happy to get 20K for my 2008 in pristine condition, which is in reality is a 2011 as it was bought new in 2011. So use this price as a gauge. Rest assured my 2008 is one of the best cared for 2008 SX230 in the USA, if not the best. So what are the prices of the ones you are looking at?

Here is the link: (by the way, the guy on the left side of the tube in the opening tube wreck just finished his college football career (Clemson center) dominating the Outland Trophy winner from Bama in the title game a few weeks ago)

Looks like so much fun! I can't wait for spring. They want 23, 850 for the 212 through the dealer. He wants 22,000 for the 230 and I think he will come down to 20,000 or 21,000.

That's an amazing accomplishment for your boy! The only football I follow is my 7 year old's flag football games :)

Look thru the FAQ for things to check. 20k would be a very good price for the 230 in great condition.

Agreed, unless it has a TON of hours, 20k is a GREAT price on a 230. Keep in mind, that boat in 2 months time will easily sell at his 23k asking price when warmer months are coming and tax return money is flowing. The seller likely knows that too.

Looks like so much fun! I can't wait for spring. They want 23, 850 for the 212 through the dealer. He wants 22,000 for the 230 and I think he will come down to 20,000 or 21,000.

Bother prices are in the wheelhouse. Just remember when selling a boat, it is always a buyer's market. Have the cahones to offer the cash and walk id the price doesn't drop. Bother boats must be in pristine shape to get these prices, however.

Back