• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2008 SX230 Water in spark plug

Ljapilot

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hey everyone,

This is my 5th summer with my SX230. She has been awesome. No issues really until now.

Shestarted running a bit rough so today I went to change the spark plugs and noticed water when I pulled the coil pack. Then I noticed rust on the engine.

It looks like the cam position sensor (I think) is broken. Would water be leaking from this or is it coming out where the spark plug goes?

Any information is appreciated. I do not have a yds cable system. If need be I can get one.

CD0F63E3-3255-43D3-A109-86F7E1CC3BF1.jpeg6C3E9E85-74ED-4F48-BFE7-629299947293.jpeg

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would suspect something else leaking, like maybe that hose right next to the rust,

I would run the engine on the hose and watch closely for any hoses that might have pin holes in them,

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
and if you don't see it, run it in neutral at 3000 RPM on the water, that should raise the water pressure enough to see what's going on. Hopefully an easy leak. I would suggest spraying CRC 656, Silicone spray or some other lubrication in that brown spot so you can get it cleaned up.

Best of Luck!

WREKS

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Possible O-ring (28) for cooling water pipe (27).
1594852100113.png

Attachments

Ljapilot

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks everyone. I appreciate it. I’m taking it out Friday. Hopefully I can see where the leak is and it’s a simple fix.

It looked like it was originating from the cam sensor so it confused me. I didn’t think water flowed through that portion of the engine.

If you have any other suggestions please throw them out.

I will report any findings on Friday.

WREKS

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Also, make sure your thermostat is opening. One of the pilot holes located at starboard stern will start spurting water when thermostat opens. If it does not, closed thermostat could be causing back pressure. I would do as @Scottintexas advises: Run on hose. I would run in No-Wake mode to start checking.

Ljapilot

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Ok I’m sitting on the water as I type this.

The leak is coming from the base of the metal pipe. I believe this is the exit for the cooling system. I believe this is the oring/seal you were referring to WREKS. I’m guessing a new oring and seal will fix this issue?

Now to the cause. Shortly after starting (idle or no wake) the aft pilot ports are squirting water. Once I give it gas the forward ports starting squirting. Occasionally I will get a touch of steam before the forward port eject water.

A few weeks ago this engine did overheat while idling due to debris in the impeller. Do you think this might have created the issue or think it’s something else?

Thanks again for all the help.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That rust looks like its been there for a while
I don't think your overheat caused it to leak

WREKS

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
You say there was debris in impeller. Was that from being in shallow water?

WREKS

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Except for leak, it looks like you are ok. Before you replace o-ring, I would try to run it at a moderate rpm and see if you have any other issues. Just be mindful of the seriousness of overheating and limp back in on the good engine if that should occur.

Ljapilot

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Any other ideas Scott?

Not shallow water. Just trash in the water at the restaurants dock. It was a plastic cap that got stuck in the impeller. I figured it created cavitation so not enough flow for cooling.

Ljapilot

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
When it overheated we shut down for 5-10 minutes, cleared impeller, and cranked back up. No issues (except this) and we spent 2 weeks running it hard. At the end of the 2 weeks it started running a bit rough so I was replacing plugs when I noticed this. Water was in the back spark plug. She’s running great right now. I’m guessing water fouled that plug.

WREKS

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I think you are good. Just do not overfill it with oil. Sometimes the oil pump check valve sticks a little and allows oil tank to drain down. Do as @zipper does; check oil after you are out on the water and the oil pump has had a chance to fill the oil cooler. Maybe o-ring change can come after season ends. What say you @Scottintexas?

Ljapilot

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
One other question @WREKS.

Is this oring difficult to replace. I got #28 and #30 ordered. Hoping to get it done this Thursday. Am I able to just pull the metal pipe out and replace both? Any heads up would be appreciated.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I think the leak/water on top of the plug was just a coincidence and didn't have any relation to the rough running or over heat,

It could have been leaking for years, you just finally noticed it because of the plug change

WREKS

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
It is probably just the o-ring leaking. The pipe may be good. Unbolting the pipe and slowly rotating it as you pull up on it allows it to come out. You may have to disconnect hose going to t-stat, etc. Clean/scrap out area where o-ring seats. I would wait and do it at end of season. Even simple tasks can, at times, compound themselves.

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
You can see rust around the pipe (water cooling line/port) in the picture. O-ring is bad. I would run it to determine rate of leak, it does not look like a big one. I dislike any leak into my boats. I would fix it sooner than later before that o-ring completely gives up.

Screenshot_20200719-071334_Chrome.jpg

Ljapilot

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
It was the oring. Oring was completely gone. Cleaned it out the best I could and replaced oring and seal. Water tested and all is well. Thank you everyone for your help. I do appreciate everything.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
For future reference...How did you replace the O-Ring?

Ljapilot

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
1. Remove T-stat hose
2. Remove seal (30)
3. Remove bolt (29)
4. Remove pipe. Have to adjust angle to get out.
5. Replace oring

Reverse this order to put back together. Don’t forget loctite on bolt. It was not bad at all.