• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2010 AR240 Port Tachometer Replacement

JetBoatPenguin

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hi Everyone,
Has anyone dealt with replacing a 2010 AR240 Port side Tachometers in the helm dash?
Do the 2011 and 2012 AR240 Tachs also work ( are they interchangealbe)?
The 2010 AR240 says unavailable anymore in the parts lists - but i know the 2011 and 2012 are similar boats in design/mechanical side, hence the question.
They are different part numbers in the catalog.

Thanks,

JBP

JetBoatPenguin

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Just checking back with the forum here...with another question.Has anyone sent their tach's out for repair, and if you did where did you send it?
Thanks

GiddYupJoe

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
NA
Found the tach for my 2010 242 LS which would be the same as what you need. However... it's $804!!! You may as well buy ride steady or perfect pass and use their system and forget about the factory tach!

Yamaha F2D-U8245-20-00 - Tachometer : Yamaha Sports Plaza

That price seems nuts. My tachs both get moisture in them, been that way for years. Have just learned to live with it.

To your original question, I would not think that there would be any difference in the 2011 at all. The 2012 is when they changed up the dash a bit (I believe) still shouldn't make a difference but wiring could be different. Good luck, sorry I couldn't be more help.

Are your just not working anymore?

JetBoatPenguin

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Port tach is out completely. Causes the starboard tach to go haywire. I just bought the boat so doing a little troubleshooting. Previous owner indicated it started with moisture in the tach prior to failing. Thanks for your insight on the 2011 version.

JetBoatPenguin

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
For the 2010-2014 the actually wiring harness is the same part number based on the website you referenced so I think the wiring is the same. It looks like the 2012 Port Tach is about $381 so I may go for that. Hoping the color schemes are the same. I am trying to contact some of the Tach repair places first as any money saved goes to new toys and tires on the trailer.

Doug718

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
For the 2010-2014 the actually wiring harness is the same part number based on the website you referenced so I think the wiring is the same. It looks like the 2012 Port Tach is about $381 so I may go for that. Hoping the color schemes are the same. I am trying to contact some of the Tach repair places first as any money saved goes to new toys and tires on the trailer.
Did you end up sending your tach for repair or did the 2012 model work? I'm having same problem. Tia for any info!!

JetBoatPenguin

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The 2012 seems to work, but now it appears the GPS hockey puck is not working. Speedometer out of kilter. The replaced tach registers correctly.

texomabrandon

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I am following up on this old post because it references the exact problem I am having. I have a 2010 AR240 and my starboard tach is broken.
Unfortunately, Yamaha has discontinued the part number for the exact replacement, F2D-U8245-10-00. It is no longer available for purchase and that is causing my issues because i just need a replacement to plug into the existing wiring, but nothing is available.

I was told that the 2013 or 2014 would work as a replacement so I bought F3H-U8245-30-00. I plugged it and and it appeared to work since the RPMs worked, speedometer worked, and some of the other functions such as the fuel gauge and a few other components on the screen, but it caused the Port side Tach to constantly beep. I think it was the depth finder noise and it wont stop, and the lighted display on the port side just rotates through the selections. The Port side also does not have full functionality on the lighted display.
I also saw that it says it is running a different software system.

With all of that said, i am very hopeful that someone on here can help me figure out how to replace a broken tach or find a replacement part that actually syncs and allows both to work together.

I am also reading about some people that may have sent their old tach out for repair. If anyone knows someone that can possibly repair my original tach then I can pursue that as well.

Last thing to mention is that I have called all dealers around my area and none of them seem to know what to do to fix the issue. They say it is strange that Yamaha doesn't have a bulletin for a replacement part. None offer a solution, and one dealer told me they couldn't help me if i brought it in.

If anyone has any answers then I will be forever thankful.

Ridesteady

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
As an alternative, Ridesteady reads both engine's speed and displays one on the display digitally at all times (the "sync master", settable in the settings, is the engine speed that will be displayed).

In addition to GPS speed mode, Ridesteady will electronically synchronize twin-engine boats, and can be run in RPM mode.

chris242

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
RIDESTEADY - very interested in this. My port tach went out
( moisture issue) and its at the dealer right now. Can you send me some info. i could care less about speed and air temp. Would you have to get TWO gauges to display rpm both motors? several other 242 owners here with same issue.

Ridesteady

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
RIDESTEADY - very interested in this. My port tach went out
( moisture issue) and its at the dealer right now. Can you send me some info. i could care less about speed and air temp. Would you have to get TWO gauges to display rpm both motors? several other 242 owners here with same issue.
Unfortunately there's no way to display both engine speeds simultaneously. Nor a way to drive two separate displays.

If you use engine sync, the engine speeds are the same when it is employed, so one engine speed basically covers both. But in other circumstances, you'd have to change the master sync engine depending on which engine speed you want displayed.