• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2011 242LS head unit swap ... rear speakers not working

jezzaaa

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Hi all,

I’ve swapped the original Aquatic AV head unit and remote in my 2011 242 LS. I chose to go with the up to date Aquatic AV MP6, in the hope that the connectors would be the same and make the install easier. As it turns out, the block connectors are the same, but they changed the Pinouts! So I made a harness out of the old connector and the new loom that came with the radio, matching up the speaker wire colours etc. Pretty simple stuff.

Fitting was easy, and the head unit and remote work perfectly. Front speakers and tower tweeters also work fine. But the rear ones don’t work; rear cockpit or swim deck ones.

I’ve obviously checked the loom connections and they’re ok. The rear speakers were working before with the old unit.

The new one doesn’t have any options in the menu to turn off rear speakers, and it doesn’t have the 2-zone thing either.

I’ve looked in the battery and cooler compartments and the crossovers are still wired in because I haven’t changed it. Could they be the issue.. I assumed they were for the tower tweeters? Is there anything else installed at the factory that needs the original head unit to work the rear speakers?

Thx all,

J.

Last edited:

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I case you don’t already realize this, the aquatic av head units only have leads for two sets of speakers, front and back. The bow and tower speakers are on the front channels and the cockpit at swim deck speakers are on the rear channels. Basically, the front and rear channels are split to cover 4 speakers each instead of two. It sounds like to may not have the new head unit hooked up to the cockpit and swim deck speakers.

jezzaaa

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Thanks Ronnie...I did know that but worth mentioning. That's why I was thinking that maybe it was something other than my bad wiring, given that the front channel works perfectly and none of the rear ones do. I used the original plug and loom from the old stereo and just crimped all the wires for both channels so I was expecting it to just work! I can't rule out the possibility of a faulty head unit of course. I'm going to spend some time trouble shooting tomorrow, and connect a direct wire from the head unit to one of the rear speakers.

jezzaaa

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
So, I've done a load more troubleshooting, and it turns out that the rear channels on the head unit are faulty! So back it goes to Aquatic AV!