• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

2011 AR 210 high RPM and completed common troubleshooting...

Jbenson

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I will start from the beginning.

last Saturday I had our boat out for a bachelor/bachelorette party and while I didn't have the boat at max capacity I had 7 adults on the boat and my boat hasn't had this much weight on it in the past. We beached our boat and when we went to leave I tried to help the pushers by reversing the boat and knew I sucked in sand and pebbles from the beach because I looked back and saw everything stirred up. In a panic I shut the engines down and forgot I had the thrusts in reverse. When I went to push them back to neutral they were stuck in reverse. We then had to be towed to the ramp, which was very close and tower was going less than 5 mph. We get the boat on the trailer, reverse gates are stuck but we were able to lift them and a few pebbles fell out... We put the boat back in, started right back up and ran fine. Later that afternoon when it was time to go, I took everyone back to their resort and when I was the only one left on the boat I slowly increased the throttle to full speed, that lasted about 30 seconds; the left engine shut down, the right engine running at high RPM with no power. I shut both engines down, waited a couple of minutes, both restarted perfectly fine, left engine runs fine but when pushing past mid to high speed the right engine has a high pitched sound, high RPM and no power so I babied it to the ramp. After we got it on the trailer we discovered the right clean out plug had forcefully popped loose, causing some damage to the plastic above. We have removed the jet pumps and there is no debris. We are still having high RPM, high pitched sound and no power on the right.

Spark plugs were changed 2 weeks prior.

TIA for any help!

Last edited:
Can you confirm the impeller is spinning when the engine is running?

Check inside the boat. There is a rubber plug that mates the engine to the pump. If that gives pump and engine are no longer connected. I don't think that's ever been reported as an issue here, but something that can happen. The pump shaft also has splines that catch the inner bearing seal case shaft. make sure all feels tight and connected. Can you spin the pump shaft by hand with the engine off?

I had a similar failure, more common on seadoos (where I had the failure), where lack of grease on the PTO/Engine connection to shaft, causes the splines to get eaten, and the Shaft connection to slip, so you get a high whine and no power to the shaft. on the Seadoo I needed to replace both the splined part and the shaft.

Best of Luck!

What damage did you have to the cleanout plug? You mentioned damage to some plastic--can you send us pics of that? If you have damage to the plug and it is not seating correctly or has damage on the bottom part, that can cause cavitation like you are describing.

Next, great that you pulled the pumps to make sure you got all of the rocks out. Gonna ask you for pics of the impellers, too. If you sucked up a bunch of rocks, you may have severely dinged your impeller on one side. Again, that is the type of thing that will work fine at low speeds, but once you get to higher speeds, the cavitation will take over and the thing will just spin with no bite.

Could be as @Beachbummer suggests, but if the starboard engine is working at lower RPM, but just failing when you get half way up on the throttle, I don't think it would be one of those issues. Those issues would cause failure at all speeds, I would think (maybe not the splines if they are only partially failed?).

What damage did you have to the cleanout plug? You mentioned damage to some plastic--can you send us pics of that? If you have damage to the plug and it is not seating correctly or has damage on the bottom part, that can cause cavitation like you are describing.

Next, great that you pulled the pumps to make sure you got all of the rocks out. Gonna ask you for pics of the impellers, too. If you sucked up a bunch of rocks, you may have severely dinged your impeller on one side. Again, that is the type of thing that will work fine at low speeds, but once you get to higher speeds, the cavitation will take over and the thing will just spin with no bite.

Could be as @Beachbummer suggests, but if the starboard engine is working at lower RPM, but just failing when you get half way up on the throttle, I don't think it would be one of those issues. Those issues would cause failure at all speeds, I would think (maybe not the splines if they are only partially failed?).

I will post pics ASAP... likely later today or tomorrow.

Back