• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

2011 sea doo challenger 180

Lwly94

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
Recently purchased a 2011 sea doo challenger 180
255 SE

boat ran amazing before purchase at all throttle positions. Tested for an hour.
Got it home installed some audio on it.
Dropped it in the water yesterday and it would not go over 10mph. Engine would rev high into 7-8k and hardly be going anywhere and was cutting out.

everyone is saying it’s the wear ring, which is possible. But would it be the carbon seal too? Or is it known to cavitate with just the wear ring being out .

if carbon seal is a possibility, where exactly is that located

sounds like you may have something stuck in the impeller/wear ring that is causing cavitation. I would pull the pump, remove the impeller and take a close look. I'm willing to bet you have a small piece of debris lodged in there somewhere. Carbon seals don't usually suddenly go bad, unless you ran the engine out of the water for an extended period of time. Carbon seal is located inside the bilge, it connects the engine to the impeller shaft. will be covered by a rubber boot.

sounds like you may have something stuck in the impeller/wear ring that is causing cavitation. I would pull the pump, remove the impeller and take a close look. I'm willing to bet you have a small piece of debris lodged in there somewhere. Carbon seals don't usually suddenly go bad, unless you ran the engine out of the water for an extended period of time. Carbon seal is located inside the bilge, it connects the engine to the impeller shaft. will be covered by a rubber boot.

I looked off inside of the bottom grate and I can see the impeller. It does have a noticeably even gap between the impeller and the wear ring. Although, I did not see anything lodged in there.

wear ring can certainly cause cavitation, but i don't know why it was working last time and not this time without another reason. are you hammering the throttle? did you try gradually increasing throttle as you gain speed, kinda like slipping a clutch? if you can gradually gain speed and get on plane, then yes, the wear ring is your likely culprit. but again, wear ring wouldn't just go bad after working perfectly during your test trial.
P.S. if you have a small piece of debris caught between the impeller edge and the wear ring, that would cause the groove you are seeing and would certainly cause massive cavitation. but you may not be able to see the debris until you pull the pump out. had this exact thing happen to me before, it was a small piece of wood about the size of a thumb nail.

I’ll have to take it apart and have a look, I mean the difference between test day and the day I took it out is, when I tested it was just me and the original owner and one of my buddies, when I took it out the other day, it was me and 5 other people so 6 total. But I mean the boat should still come out of the hole right? I was banging throttle and gradually increasing it as I gained speed but I was only gaining speed up to 10mph. Couldn’t really get it over that. It would start slipping at 6-10mph

weight makes a huge difference, especially if you have weight in the bow. 6 passengers (if they are all adults), plus gear. but when i had the groove on mine (215 hp) and i loaded the boat, i could still get it on plane by very slowly increasing and feathering the throttle, although it would take some time to get on plane.

Yeah well I mean there is a weight difference, but I do think the wear ring needs replacing. Unit has 118 hours on it without replacing. And we have somewhat choppy water as well. But also another thing I recall is we had most of our weight in the back of the boat. Had 2 100lb girls in the bow so would that make it harder to get on plane?

Back