• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2013 AR190, turns but won't start

nhineiti

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hello Everyone,
I have a 2013 AR190 that is well-maintained/always fresh water. I took it to the lake, and after riding it a while, we stopped to take a swim, and when I tried to restart it, the engine will turn but it won't fire up. Had to be towed home.
Checked the cleanout switch, the kill switch clip is attached, and the battery switch, all in order. The fuses are Ok (not sure about relays), the starter turns, and so does the jet shaft. the battery is OK and the sparks are dry and spark fine. i took the intake filter box out and sprayed starter fluid, and the engine still won't sire up. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
glad to have you on board, sorry to hear about your problems,

how long have you owned the boat?
have you been out many times this year ?

I would get a spark tester and make sure you're getting a spark

It could be your kill switch, that will let the engine crank but cuts the spark, I would bypass it as a trouble shoot,

nhineiti

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
glad to have you on board, sorry to hear about your problems,

how long have you owned the boat?
have you been out many times this year ?

I would get a spark tester and make sure you're getting a spark

It could be your kill switch, that will let the engine crank but cuts the spark, I would bypass it as a trouble shoot,

thanks for getting back to me.
i have had the boat for three years and thoroughly enjoyed it. this year I have taken it out three times, including the last time I had to be towed.
I have taken the spark plugs out one at a time, ensuring they are dry and spark as needed.
i had my suspension about the kill switch or the cleanout switch, do I just take it out and short the wires to test?

thanks

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would would wonder if you're getting fuel but with the starter fluid it probably should have worked,

The cleanout hatch safety switch won't let the shaft spin ( in case someone has their hands down there)

I don't know the exact process for bypassing the kill switch but we've had members post about it,
maybe @Beachbummer ??

I think it will be easier checking for spark first before going into the switch,

nhineiti

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Update: i sent my boar to a Yamaha-approved repair shop, and they informed me that the timing chain is broken.
Supposedly, a while back there was a recall on the chain, and apparently, the previous owner didn't take advantage of the recall, and now It failed on me.
I am just hoping the repair costs won't be severe

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
With the chain broken and this being an interference engine where the valve hits the piston if the chain is not in place... The cost will be as severe as it can be. New engine and/or engine piston and head rebuild.

I'm very sorry. Best to set the right expectation. Hopefully it's not as bad as it sounds.

nhineiti

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
you are absolutely correct. the head is damaged. They quoted me $8500 for the repair (including a new head), and informed them that I am only interested in used/rebuilt components to reduce cost. they found me a Yamaha rebuilt head and the repair will now cost around $3500. still lots of money but manageable.
BTW, do you know where the diagnostic port is located for the AR190
advice for other members: if you ha ev 2008-20015 (I believe) 1.8L Yamaha engine, you may want to consider changing the timing chain before it goes out on its own causing a bunch of damage