• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2013 Yamaha 212ss Need help!

Isaiah.1234

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I have a 2013 Yamaha 212ss with twin 180hp engines roughly around 300 hrs. I just bought the boat and new to jet boats. I took it out today for the first time and it ran awesome! Only problem is I’m getting a lot of water inside the engine compartment enough that I have to turn on-the bilge pump. The two plugs inside the engine compartment are in and tight! Also the outer plug on the bottom of the boat is in and tight! It only seems to come in while running the boat for a few mins not when it is just setting. Has anyone had this problem or could tell me what I may be doing wrong thanks!

Dis you notice if the water was warm or lake/sea temp?

With the boat in the water and engines running is the source of the water visible?

When you are off the water, I would recommend removing the panel where the clean out ports are (about a dozen screws & 3 clamps that you can loosen and access via the access panel - one clamp for each clean out tube and 1 for the drain from the tray).

This will allow you to easily see and access the dozen or so clamps to determine if any are in need of replacement. On my 2012 the exhaust worm clamps deteriorated from rust.

Part of my maintenance is now to rinse this section of the bilge with Salt Away and apply CorrosionX annually.

9E45F542-9446-4B50-92DA-4AF8A52BDBF2.png

I can’t tell where it is coming from when the engines are running. At one point there was enough water coming in that it was up to the motor mount bolts before I docked it and got the water out by running the bilge made me think a plug was loose or something but they were all good I had only been riding around the lake for over an hour when this happen. I have it docked at my dock now and there’s no water coming in.

1) bilge pump always on
2) if water enters only when running, probably from cooling line or leaking through intermediate shaft/bearing. If water is hot, then probably cooling line. Check engine compartment for leaking/spraying water while engine is running. Check under panel as @VitaminSea said for leaks/loose hose clamps.

Okay thanks for the help! I will take a more in-depth look tomorrow to see what I can find.

So I ran the engines this morning at the dock just setting and seen no leaks in the engine compartment. So I drove it slow around the dock no water coming In. I took it out and got the boat on plane for a few mins then the water started coming in. Went back to the dock, checked under the panel and the hose clamps on the tubes were all loose could spins them around by hand. Going to tighten them and try again. Also the water is cool that’s coming in not hot!

Fingers crossed for you that’s it’s the lose hose clamps you identified.

We’ll I tightened all the hose clamps and water is still coming In but it’s only really coming in when the boat is on plane. I don’t know what else to do

This is after being on plane for no more than 5 mins.

Attachments

• FDE8BFE2-3DC4-4DB7-A427-4D6142AF0DBC.jpeg
    FDE8BFE2-3DC4-4DB7-A427-4D6142AF0DBC.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 29
  • 0E9E376C-DB9B-4033-9CD0-9BA474208A80.jpeg
    0E9E376C-DB9B-4033-9CD0-9BA474208A80.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 30
  • 0BE87F71-49DD-41CB-B318-CD37402A27FB.jpeg
    0BE87F71-49DD-41CB-B318-CD37402A27FB.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 28
Some thoughts:
  1. Your bilge pump is underwater. Is it not working or working well? Maybe just overwhelmed.
  2. If the clamps are now good, and water is cool, try looking at other ingress points.
    1. My leading candidate is the scupper. That would load with water fast, especially when on plane. I’m not familiar with where it is on your model, but it is a large (1 1/2”) white opening on the back under the transom. It should have a flapper valve to prevent water entering the boat. It does not age well and the flap can break off. (If it is unbroken, don’t go poking it, or you’ll find out how fragile it is.) search for scupper replacement on this site.
    2. Also, do you have all the internal drain plugs closed? If not do that too.
    3. Some models can take on water via the anchor locker drain hole. This shouldn’t be you problem because as you go on plane the hole rises. I think this is more of a problem at no wake speeds.

okay I will check that as well!! In the picture I had the bilge pump off to show how much water it is actually taking on. I drove it back to the ramp earlier to load out and had the bilge pump running the whole time and when I got to the no wake zone I checked it and it had very little in it. But if I don’t run the bilge pump all the time it will fill up fast!

The rubber flap on the scupper is fine and is in place. I don’t what it could possibly be. Aslo
With theses boats do you need to run the bilge pump all the time? I’m use to bass boats never had a pleasure boat till this one.

Bilge pump, yes always on when in the water. Some boats require the battery switch to be on for it to have power, on others it always has power.

Assuming the water is coming in at the rear you can try filling the bilge with water, with the drain plug in and seeing if the water seeps out from somewhere. I’ve seen some people have a crack in the fiberglass or joint in the jet tunnel that leaks into the bilge.

@drewkaree any other ideas?

okay, I will fill the bilge with a water hose and see if I can see it leaking somewhere. Do you think a intermediate shaft bearing would cause this? I mean yesterday when I first noticed it the water was up over the motor mount bolts and that was after driving around for about 2 hrs. But I didn’t have the bilge on either but still a LOT! of water is coming in

I believe another documented issue is the water box/exhaust clamps becoming lose and allowing water in.

When you inspected the bilge, did you notice these clamps? I am trying to remember if it’s 2 clamps per water box or two on each end of the water box.

As @TimW451 stated, yes always have the bilge switch on when on the water.

If it was the IMS bearing, I would presume that you would see the water coming in the engine compartment while underway, which I believe you already ruled out, leading me to suspect it’s something further AFT in the bilge.

Where are the water box/exhaust clamps located?

I can’t find a photo, but when you remove the large access hatch by the clean outs you will see two large “mufflers”. Those are the water boxes. Examine them.

I found a pic. The rubber straps hold it in place and to the left you can see two hose clamps on the black hose. IIRC this pipe runs to a thru hull fitting where there are two additional clamps. There is one water box for each engine.

E1969BFF-C207-491A-BBDE-CBF918B08E62.png

I’ve checked every clamp and everything is tight. When I opened the cover for the clean out plugs they were still full of water and the boat is in my garage is that normal?

Attachments

• 4AAEA721-281A-49E8-8A67-F45A9D3900B5.jpeg
    4AAEA721-281A-49E8-8A67-F45A9D3900B5.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 20
  • 3377486C-1B6B-4B7A-8E22-0DD940155BE4.jpeg
    3377486C-1B6B-4B7A-8E22-0DD940155BE4.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 17
  • 4FFCE342-73AE-45AC-BA15-DEA8E5F85065.jpeg
    4FFCE342-73AE-45AC-BA15-DEA8E5F85065.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 18
Back