• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2013 - Yamaha 242 Limited S Buying Advice!

SMAR

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Hey There!

The wife and i was about to pull the trigger on a 09' 232 LS about a week ago but the seller went radio silent. I posted the same type of thread in that area to get some pre-purchase info and I think this forum saved us a ton of future headache! So thank you all for that!

We kept looking and stumbled across a 13' 242 LS about an hour and half from us. Besides it being newer from the 09' what items/things could you guys share that we should look for? We are going to see it this Saturday morning. I spoke to the owner and he said hes had about 5 Yamaha boats and he is only selling it bc he brought a newer one. He said it just had service done to it. (will find out what all was done but im thinking oil/filter/plugs. Oh and ill try to get copies of receipts) He said it runs solid and everything works on it. From the pictures the only negative we can find is the top of the seats are showing some sun damage. He said he didn't think the sun would mess them up that bad and he feels dumb bc he has a cover for it. It obviously cost more then the 09 and the wife thinks im crazy if we are going to spend more for a boat with seats in that condition. What do you guys think? I heard that the 07-09 boast were some of the best boats Yamaha ever made. What about the 13's? Are worse/better/as good? What are these boats going for right now? Oh yeah..its a salt water boat used in the gulf in the Pensacola area but he said he flushed and cleaned after ever ride.

Any and all info you guys could share would be great! I will work on getting a few pics up of it.

Thanks again!
Aaron
s-l1600 (1).jpgs-l1600 (2).jpgs-l1600 (3).jpgs-l1600 (4).jpgs-l1600 (5).jpgs-l1600 (6).jpgs-l1600 (7).jpgs-l1600 (8).jpgs-l1600 (9).jpgs-l1600 (10).jpgs-l1600 (11).jpgs-l1600 (12).jpgs-l1600 (13).jpgs-l1600 (14).jpgs-l1600 (15).jpgs-l1600.jpg

Last edited:

sunbyrned

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I have a 2012 and I hate the design of the Bimini top. I’m pretty sure that was the last year for that design and the 2013’s have a much nicer, user friendly top. If it has a trailer, check for rust since it’s been in the salt water. Sounds like the previous owner has taken good care of this one though.

SMAR

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I have a 2012 and I hate the design of the Bimini top. I’m pretty sure that was the last year for that design and the 2013’s have a much nicer, user friendly top. If it has a trailer, check for rust since it’s been in the salt water. Sounds like the previous owner has taken good care of this one though.
Good to know about the Bimini, thank you! Its a galvanized trailer so i should be good with rust, right? (i posted pictures, did they not load correctly?)

sunbyrned

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I see the pics now. It looks like the boat is in great shape. That’s the new top design I was referring to as well. I see what I’m assuming is rust on the back wheels but those might be comparable to others who are used to salt water. I don’t know because I’m in fresh water. I would still check the axles, bolts and brakes in that area. Others might be able to tell if any of the hose clamps have rust on them or other signs of rust in the engines. Regarding the upholstery, it looks to me as though he took care of the smooth surfaces, but not the textured surfaces. I have the same seats They’re hard to clean because that surface holds on to the cleaning or protectant solution when trying to wipe it off leaving a discolored film. That may be why he avoided those areas or it could be just from direct sunlight. Maybe others can have a better perspective. It could also be a sign that maybe he didn’t take care of things. Sorry I’m not much help but perhaps I gave you some things to consider.

Ilmmct

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I’ve owned both eras you are looking at. Loved my 2008 but the 2013 is quieter, nicer interior accoutrements and it handles better.

The only item of quality that went in the wrong direction between is the upholstery quality.

SMAR

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Still plan on going tomorrow..any last min things you guys can think of that we should keep our eyes out for?

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
There is almost nothing wrong with this MY, the 2010-11 had oil cooler bolts shearing, that was fixed. the pre-2016 1.8 occasionally break timing chains, but it is very rare. The anchor locker compartment is not reinforced so the anchor can break thin fiberglass in the bow if it gets lose.

This boat however has me scratching my head a little bit... There is so much sun damage! Ouch.
If he let the vinyl go like this, is he the kind of a guy who flashes the engines everytime with saltaway?
Looking at those rusted tie downs, I don;t know.

--

SMAR

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
There is almost nothing wrong with this MY, the 2010-11 had oil cooler bolts shearing, that was fixed. the pre-2016 1.8 occasionally break timing chains, but it is very rare. The anchor locker compartment is not reinforced so the anchor can break thin fiberglass in the bow if it gets lose.

This boat however has me scratching my head a little bit... There is so much sun damage! Ouch.
If he let the vinyl go like this, is he the kind of a guy who flashes the engines everytime with saltaway?
Looking at those rusted tie downs, I don;t know.

--
Thanks for that info! Im most worried about what you said pertaining to the seats. If you dont care about seats, what else about the boat do you not care about?? UGH!!

SMAR

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
If we end up getting it is there anything i can do to the seats to stop them from getting any worse and/or make them look any better?

Also, if the worse of it is the seats, what is a boat like that worth?

AboveTheBest

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
You haven’t mentioned the price, but if it’s low enough you could pay to get a couple of the seats redone.

Is that Duck-Tape on top of those seats...?

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
What are the hours? Steering and reverse/throttle cables/linkages may need to be replaced, that's not expensive but it all adds up.
It could be a great deal at certain price point, but I wouldn;t know what it is. WOuld definitely want to see how she runs int he water.

--

SMAR

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
You haven’t mentioned the price, but if it’s low enough you could pay to get a couple of the seats redone.

Is that Duck-Tape on top of those seats...?
I actually found it on eBay. The final bid (no reserve) was 27,2. I randomly contacted him to see if he would be willing to sell it off eBay bc I was so close. Didn't hear anything and the auction closed and figured the winning bidder would be on their way to get it. About 3 days after the auction closed he texted me and said he didn't hear anything from the winner and wanted to see if I was still interested. So a few text and a phone call later we will be going to check it out tomorrow.

Not sure about the seats as I haven't seen them in person. Will take a bunch of pics and post as soon as I get there.

SMAR

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
What are the hours? Steering and reverse/throttle cables/linkages may need to be replaced, that's not expensive but it all adds up.
It could be a great deal at certain price point, but I wouldn;t know what it is. WOuld definitely want to see how she runs int he water.

--
205hrs
Will check all those cables tomorrow

captainhook

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Those seats are a mess and that does look like duct tape. It needs new upholstery in my opinion as I would not be able to live with that. @swatski brings up some great points honestly, who lets their vinyl go like that and takes care of the rest? There are plenty of needles in a haystack out there. I find that there is enough that goes wrong with boats on their own, if the owner helped it along the way, I would be very apprehensive. I hate to say it, but I’d probably walk away from this one too unless you get it for a steal.

SMAR

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Those seats are a mess and that does look like duct tape. It needs new upholstery in my opinion as I would not be able to live with that. @swatski brings up some great points honestly, who lets their vinyl go like that and takes care of the rest? There are plenty of needles in a haystack out there. I find that there is enough that goes wrong with boats on their own, if the owner helped it along the way, I would be very apprehensive. I hate to say it, but I’d probably walk away from this one too unless you get it for a steal.
You sound just like my wife! She can't get over those seats either! But you are right. If someone let's the seats go what else did they let go?! :( .

What would be considered a steal to you?

captainhook

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
You sound just like my wife! She can't get over those seats either! But you are right. If someone let's the seats go what else did they let go?! :( .

What would be considered a steal to you?
I’m really not sure, maybe sub $25k? Assuming it checks out mechanically of course. I’m not up on the 2010-2014 model prices.

SMAR

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I’m really not sure, maybe sub $25k? Assuming it checks out mechanically of course. I’m not up on the 2010-2014 model prices.
Okay thanks!

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yeah I would say anything around 25k for that boat would be an absolute steal.
The cables and upholstery could be fixed for that price no problem, it would not stop me, BUT - what if the electronics and engine cooling are in the same shape as those tie down ratchets (boat buckles)...? Rusted clamps on cooling hoses in a boat that new would be a red flag to me.

--

SMAR

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Yeah I would say anything around 25k for that boat would be an absolute steal.
The cables and upholstery could be fixed for that price no problem, it would not stop me, BUT - what if the electronics and engine cooling are in the same shape as those tie down ratchets (boat buckles)...?

--
Any way to check the electronics and cooling? He did say it just had it's annual service done. I'll ask more what all was done and if he can provide receipts.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Any way to check the electronics and cooling?
Cooling hose clamps rusting would be an issue, the boat is just too new for that. COndition of spark plugs, if those can be removed, would be another indicator along with the coils/boot - any rust there would worry me. Oil filter - what does it look like? Is it rusted? (shouldn't be)

Cleanout plugs etc., you already know that!

--