• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2014-2015 Yamaha boats Timing Chain

KevJul2019

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Is Yamaha doing anything? I have just hit 100 hours on my SX192, 2015 and am the 2nd owner. Should I be worried about the timing chain issues I am hearing about on this forum?

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You’ll get different answers.
yes, it IS a known issue. And there is no simple fix.
only Yamaha knows the real numbers.
the odds of TC failure are still fairly small I believe those are, basically, on par with odds of other possible modes of catastrophic failure
that is just my opinion though, based on reading these forums and talking to people I know here.

Ive had more issues with my 2016 AR240 than most, still I consider Yamaha jet boats to be mechanically superior to most boat brands.

beyond that, I would always carry good boat tow insurance when in big/open waters. But I wouldn’t lose any sleep over it, personally.

d_coyne1984

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Is Yamaha doing anything? I have just hit 100 hours on my SX192, 2015 and am the 2nd owner. Should I be worried about the timing chain issues I am hearing about on this forum?
Unfortunately, you only have three options and none are an ideal solution.
1) Upgrade the engine to the newer components. Someone put together a list of the parts needed on one of these threads and I think it was in the $2k range (somebody please correct me if I am off), plus the install cost which requires pulling the crankshaft, unless you can do that kind of work yourself.

2) Sell the boat. Maybe this is a good reason to make that upgrade. :winkingthumbsup"

3) Live with it and hope for the best. I believe the estimate is that this is affecting like 1% of the 1.8l engines between 2014-2016. It's pretty much bullshit that Yamaha has swept this under the rug. If these were auto engines I am guessing they would have been forced to do a recall. Considering the number of engines that are out there, 1% is a large number, but the odds that you will have a failure is still quite small. Unfortunately if it does happen it sound like a total pain in the ass and months of down time to get the engine replaced.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
1) Upgrade the engine to the newer components. .
Yes, there is a kit available from greenhulk and possibly other places, not clear to me how it would affect warranty (a 2015 could still be under YES), and TC is not the only thing that can break.
not a lot of folks seem to be going that route but maybe it’s worth the peace of mind?

I_squared_r

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
2014 AR192 here. I pull the valve cover and inspect at the end of every season. Bump the key to turn the motor, inspect the links, and repeat until i've inspected all the links. I have checked at 100 hours and I checked at 160 hours. I never replaced the valve cover gasket and it hasn't leaked. I hope to break 200 hours this season and then i'll check again in the Fall. If the chain does go, I will rebuild it with 2016+ components and keep the boat for another 200 hours. I'm taking this boat with me a long time because it fits my needs.

KYjetboat

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have a 2015 192 with 145hrs and its been a great boat the YES warranty runs out in march of this year, even though it does seem rare that a chain breaks it will always be in the back of my mind this summer with no warranty. Im in the same “boat” literally, like said above theres three options, upgrade chains, trade it, or run the heck out of it and hope for the best.

I_squared_r

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I have a 2015 192 with 145hrs and its been a great boat the YES warranty runs out in march of this year, even though it does seem rare that a chain breaks it will always be in the back of my mind this summer with no warranty. Im in the same “boat” literally, like said above theres three options, upgrade chains, trade it, or run the heck out of it and hope for the best.
Just run it and periodically check the chain like I listed above. Some people have found fractures in the link before failure. So checking will give you peace of mind during the summer. Ive heard about people with 400 hours on their original motor.

Streeter

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Just run it and periodically check the chain like I listed above. Some people have found fractures in the link before failure. So checking will give you peace of mind during the summer. Ive heard about people with 400 hours on their original motor.
is there any videos of how to pulling the timing chain cover off and inspecting?

Streeter

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Dont have to take timing chain cover off. Only valve cover.
any videos out there to show how to check that? I noticed today I have a 5/2014 sticker on my motor

I_squared_r

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Same as any other 4 cylinder engine. Remove engine cover, ignition coils, breather hose to head, I think one electrical connector that gets in the way, maybe 12x 10mm bolts and the valve cover comes off. That doesn't reveal the entire chain, but the motor can be rotated by bumping the key to start. Bump, inspect, bump, inspect, etc. I mark the chain with a marker so I know when I made the entire revolution. To install the valve cover, there is a plastic guide in the valve cover that needs a little silicone to hold it in place. Reuse the valve cover gasket and put a dab of fresh silicone at the corners like the OEM had it.

If this doesnt make sense, then you can ask some friends if they can show you.