• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2014 AR190 - Piston through the block....

Jeebus

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I’ve had this 2014 AR190 for about 4 years. It presently has about 90 hours on it. In 2017 I had to take the boat in and have a completely new charging harness put into it, becasue the boat would not stay running or charged. At the time, I luckily purchased the YES warranty, and that was all covered.

flash forward 3 years, I’ve put about 40 hours on the boat since that warranty service work, we were cruising through the lake at about 4000rpm, and The boat died. No power to it at all, not even enough to crank, the dash started flashing speed communication error again, which is what started happening the first time I needed it serviced ( dead battery, not enough power to crank and speed comm error).

so, I get towed back to shore call my dealer, he says to bring it on in again, but my YES coverage has expired ( I thought I had purchased 5 years, but he says it was 3). Anyways, after loading on the trailer and cleaning the boat out.... I notice there is a huge chunk of metal in the bottom of the engine bay. Yep, that’s not good, it’s a piston, and there is a huge hole in the block on the port side.

I checked all my clean out ports, nothing go sucked up, my pisser vent is flowing water. I’m at a loss for how this happened? Anyone have experience with this ever happening to them before? I’m stunned that a boat with less then 100 hours on it has this kind of problem. I assume this is unrelated to my previous warranty work, so I’m going to be out of pocket for it all.... any idea on the cost? Is there a updated motor i should be considering? I’m in a state of disbelief honestly.

jgourlie

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
Could possibly be the timing chain, but I'm totally guessing

Zizzou 192

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If they did find a broken timing chain, there is a chance Yamaha may cover it out of warranty as in various timing chain threads on the forum.

sunbyrned

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Different boat, but water got in my engine and blew a rod. Cost 15k. Insurance covered it after a long battle. You don’t see any evidence of a leak or water intrusion anywhere?