• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2014 Scarab 195, fresh off the water w cavitation, 10 mph @ 7000 rpm

madscientist

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
195 G
Boat Length
Why is it in the boat community "oem" is best but out in the consumer performance community "oem" is merely average? Oem continues fail me and my expectations of the performance

ScarabMike

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Here is a pic of the shaft. Doesn't look bent or anything. I am a little upset about the rust being there. Do you thinki needs a new impeller boot?View attachment 120446
Looks good to me. But one thing i can see for sure is you need to spray some CRC 656 on your pump system at least ever other use. I spray mine after every use. It will help keep that white oxidation to a minimum. I wouldnt worry about that surface rust too much. Just use some marine grease, and you will be ok.

ScarabMike

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Mike, my impeller is still oem right now but I am running the stainless ring. A fresh oem plastic lasted less than 14hrs before it was damaged..

I am having cavitation issues with a full boat and it won't plane out. It is theb195g with the 161mm imp and ring (came this way from the factory) I checked the pitch and it was 14/17. I added 2mm to the trailing edges to make it 14/19. I will run the new set up in the next couple days and report back.
Sounds like you have a scavenging problem. Check the veins in your venturi, and also check the splines in your shaft to make sure your impeller is spinning properly. You may have a shot pump. If you are going through that many rings, you are not taking care of your jet drive. The stainless steel ring will fail, and send shrapnel around your plastic parts.

Tommy Lee

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Looks good to me. But one thing i can see for sure is you need to spray some CRC 656 on your pump system at least ever other use. I spray mine after every use. It will help keep that white oxidation to a minimum. I wouldnt worry about that surface rust too much. Just use some marine grease, and you will be ok.
I was wondering if there is a preventative measure for that, thanks!

Tommy Lee

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Mike I'm having a real hard time finding the right impeller for my boat. I have the 200 hp 2014 Scarab 195. I want to order everything this morning together, including the impeller remover tool. I wish I had the remover tool so I can see the part # when I take it off, but it well take time for it to get shipped to me. I'd like to order the impeller asap without having to wait for the remover tool. Can you offer any assistance with the part #? I found this post in a thread where you participated. Also here is one on eBay that I think is my impeller. Not sure tho. I am not sure if it's 159mm or 161mm but that one thread indicates is 161. I'm completely unsure at this point.
Screenshot_20200527-074937.jpg

madscientist

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
195 G
Boat Length
Sounds like you have a scavenging problem. Check the veins in your venturi, and also check the splines in your shaft to make sure your impeller is spinning properly. You may have a shot pump. If you are going through that many rings, you are not taking care of your jet drive. The stainless steel ring will fail, and send shrapnel around your plastic parts.
My pump is metal and the splines are perfect. I gave up on the dealer finding or fixing it and they won't touch the pump unless I b pay them a ton of money to "put it back to stock" first.. i have been doing skis for years and have reasonable knowledge and skill sets

madscientist

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
195 G
Boat Length
My pump is metal and the splines are perfect. I gave up on the dealer finding or fixing it and they won't touch the pump unless I b pay them a ton of money to "put it back to stock" first.. i have been doing skis for years and have reasonable knowledge and skill sets
I have one chipped vein but nothing that would cause this issue

madscientist

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
195 G
Boat Length
Mike I'm having a real hard time finding the right impeller for my boat. I have the 200 hp 2014 Scarab 195. I want to order everything this morning together, including the impeller remover tool. I wish I had the remover tool so I can see the part # when I take it off, but it well take time for it to get shipped to me. I'd like to order the impeller asap without having to wait for the remover tool. Can you offer any assistance with the part #? I found this post in a thread where you participated. Also here is one on eBay that I think is my impeller. Not sure tho. I am not sure if it's 159mm or 161mm but that one thread indicates is 161. I'm completely unsure at this point.
View attachment 120488
I was able to send mine back and get the 161mm. I had the same issue. You could sell it here for that price all day

Tommy Lee

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
159mm Plastic Wear Ring Sea-Doo - Measure the circumfrence and make sure you have this one, or the 161. Stay with plastic and not stainless. These things are made to take a beating, and keep the impeller spinning in an event of a clog. The stainless has no give, and you can destroy your pump if it fails.

As far as impeller... There should be some numbers on it. That's your pitch. Stay with the oem one. Unless you know how to figure out pitch and RPM, you could get screwed. Boats are different than skis, and there is a ton of weight to push around. If you pitch too high, you will cavitate, gain to much rpm, and loose speed. If too low, you will hook up better, but won't reach the engine's max rpm. This can cause overheating, and loss of speed. Go to Greehulk . com, and buy an oem impeller.
Ok so I just measured the diameter of the "inside" of wear ring diameter. Comes to exactly 6 and 5.5/16 inches, which converts to 161.13125 mm. I'm guessing then it's the diameter, not circumference that is measured. So now I know that I need a 161 mm prop and impeller combo. Do I still need an exact oem part number, and pull out the impeller to get said part # first before I order one? Can someone send me the part # or a link to the oem impeller and wear ring and then I can grab the part # and shop around. Thanks everyone.

Last edited:

ScarabMike

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ok so I just measured the diameter of the "inside" of wear ring diameter. Comes to exactly 6 and 5.5/16 inches, which converts to 161.13125 mm. I'm guessing then it's the diameter, not circumference that is measured. So now I know that I need a 161 mm prop and impeller combo. Do I still need an exact oem part number, and pull out the impeller to get said part # first before I order one? Can someone send me the part # or a link to the oem impeller and wear ring and then I can grab the part # and shop around. Thanks everyone.
Here you go. This is what I found for the 161mm setup.

WEAR RING

IMPELLER ASSY

The impeller is a 13/18 pitch from what I can see.

Also, seems the non supercharged boats have the 159mm pumps.

Tommy Lee

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length

WEAR RING

IMPELLER ASSY

Awesome thank you. Really helps. So here's my list. Can you add to it with links to what you recommend Mike?

* OEM impeller
* Impeller boot
* Marine grease for splines
* Bearing grease for impeller bearings
* thread locker (what types?)
* impeller remover tool
* CRC 656 for oxidation reduction/prevention

Am I missing anything? Again if you have recommendations for anything including the bearing grease and spline grease, would be much appreciated thank you!

Tommy Lee

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Im looking at your pictures, and yea, you need a new prop and wear ring.

I would stay away from Solas for many reasons, but the biggest is they are garbage. If you get some from the wrong batch, it can destroy your drive components. Stay OEM.
You need a seadoo impeller tool from Solas. Part number VR001.

As far as the wear ring, to take off and install the new one is simple. Put the assembly in the freezer for 10 min it will shrink your old one, and it will slide out. Then put the newring in the freezer, and install just like the old one.

Now, here is one thing that you need to do before you reinstall everything back. Look at the shaft, make sure it is sitting center, and that nothing shifted. It will be visible, and you will know what Im talking about. If any part of the engine or shaft gets out of alignment, ir hits the sleave protector, take it to your dealer. You dont want any wear ring issues.
Mike I am not seeing Solas part VR001 anywhere. Are you sure that is the right part #? I am seeing WR011, WR012, but not the part # you said.

Tommy Lee

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Im sorry, its WR001
Mike that tool however, looks wrong. My shaft/impeller has 28 splines. I'm counting the splines on WR001 and I'm seeing no more than 20. Don't think it's right. Screenshot_20200529-110938.png

Tommy Lee

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length

WEAR RING

IMPELLER ASSY

Ok so I've done a ton of reading and searching for information. Based on my research I believe the impeller tool is WR012 for these Supercharged 4-Tec Rotax 200/250 hp motors. The impeller itself... I realized that I could probably see the actual part number inside the jet pump housing, based on where I see it etched on the impeller in pictures. I was able to see it- it's 267000748.

That being said, I've decided that I'm only going to replace the wear ring and neoprene seal. When i pull the impeller I'm going to clean up the nicked-up blade edges with pliers and smooth them out. I'm going to clean up the surface rust on the end of the shaft and inside the impeller. The wear ring is extremely gouged out, so I believe the cavitation is a direct result of that. I am going to keep an eye on the rpm's, takeoff, and to end speed to see if I lost anything performance-wise. I think I can save this impeller as I'm pretty crafty.

I ordered the following items - Neoprene seal, wear ring, impeller tool, Johnson Evinrude Triple Grease, blue Loctite, 577 Loxtite, XPS bearing grease, CRC 656 to stop oxidation. I'll let everyone know how this all goes. Thanks all.

Tommy Lee

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Im sorry, its WR001
So I took a guess based on photos, counted the splines on WR012 and guessed right. Got the impeller off yesterday. The blades were definitely chewed up. I did some straightened then filed the trailing edges down nicely and it's ready to go. There is one straight edge that is bent that needs to be straightened but my vise won't open wide enough to hold the impeller for me to straighten it. I am taking it to my buddy's to do it on his vise. You can see the bent edge in one of the photos.

Once I have that done I will reassemble tonight. 20200605_153208.jpg20200605_153214.jpg

Tommy Lee

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
New wear ring is on and impeller spins nice and smooth. 20200605_195457.jpg

Tommy Lee

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Im sorry, its WR001
Success! I took the boat out after finishing the repairs today. The boat is back to it's great self, topping out at 40 mph and handling just the same. I'm extremely happy. I did it all for $120, purchasing a new wear ring, neoprene seal, bearing grease, Johnson evinrude triple grease, loctite 243 and 577, and WR012 impeller tool. I saved $300 by repairing my impeller. I'm extremely happy. Thanks for your help guys. Photo from the boat today! .IMG_20200607_173252.jpg20200607_155844.jpg20200607_125157.jpg20200607_125137.jpg

Last edited:

jjb74

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
255 ID
Boat Length
Did you also replace the bearing? what tool did you use? and do you have the 250hp?