• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2014 Silverado Bumper Rust in Winter

oakley24

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
My 2014 Silverado rear bumper has looked like this the past 2 winters after some snow
20221229_153329.jpg
20221229_153321.jpg

It removes pretty easily with some basic rust remover, but I'm just curious if anyone else has had this? Or if anyone knows why this only happens in winter? I'm guessing something to do with road salt? And I'm also assuming there is rust under the plastic bumper top that I should probably try to get to and fix?

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Salt will definitely speed up any rust, but if the bumper was replaced with an aftermarket replacement because of damage it would rust faster than an oem bumper

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Do they, road crews, use brine or rock salt or both? Brine is the worst, around here it is used on State roads and highways. It gets everywhere. I get it on my 06 duramax bumper too. Have not noticed it on the 15 Sierra yet. Knock on wood.

oakley24

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
yeah, i think both are used around here in PA

Dixemon

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I have a Silverado, never experienced that here in Georgia. We don't get much snow if any. There is an old trick the Harley riders use on their chrome. Crumple up some aluminum foil and polish it out. You might also so use some rust converter to seal it up.