• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2014 Yamaha 242 Limited S or 2017 AR240

FLJetBoater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I went to accompany a survey on a boat I'm looking at buying and there were a few issues noted. Some are minor (as in fixable) items like corroded hatch lifts, missing nuts/washers inside the engine compartment for the aft seat cushions, etc. Stuff like that I don't mind fixing up. Only 80 hours on port engine. Starboard tach wasn't working so no read on that engine. Speedo and starboard tach not working - $600 in parts from what I gather, as long as it's only the gauges. What's the chance it could be something more?

However, I'm more concerned about some of the corrosion. The boat is near salt water and probably was used in it exclusively, but trailered. One of the outdrives is missing paint on the bottom but they do look in great shape. Many hose clamps are extremely corroded (seems easy enough to replace them?)

Engine performance was all good. 7100 max rpm WOT.

Edit:
I renamed this thread, as I'm walking away from that other boat. I've upped my budget a little bit and now have 2 boats on my radar. Both look in amazing condition and will be seeing them tonight. Both are basically the same price and both < 80 hours. 2014 242 Limited S and 2017 AR240. The AR240 does have a much nicer helm. The 242 has fresh water, better cushions.

Does the 2017 AR240 have additional noise deadening? Was that applied to all models starting in 2015?

I'm super torn...

Last edited:

14SX190

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I went to accompany a survey on a boat I'm looking at buying and there were a few issues noted. Some are minor (as in fixable) items like corroded hatch lifts, missing nuts/washers inside the engine compartment for the aft seat cushions, etc. Stuff like that I don't mind fixing up. Only 80 hours on port engine. Starboard tach wasn't working so no read on that engine. Speedo and starboard tach not working - $600 in parts from what I gather, as long as it's only the gauges. What's the chance it could be something more?

However, I'm more concerned about some of the corrosion. The boat is near salt water and probably was used in it exclusively, but trailered. One of the outdrives is missing paint on the bottom but they do look in great shape. Many hose clamps are extremely corroded (seems easy enough to replace them?)

Engine performance was all good. 7100 max rpm WOT.
It's a chronic Yamaha problem. Those clamps are a PITA to take off. My engine is out so I swapping them out for SS clamps

Corrosion on used boat can be hidden. check out my used boat thread. Did you check the oil and compression.

FLJetBoater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I renamed this thread, as I'm walking away from that other boat. I've upped my budget a little bit and now have 2 boats on my radar. Both look in amazing condition and will be seeing them tonight. Both are basically the same price and both < 80 hours. 2014 242 Limited S and 2017 AR240. The AR240 does have a much nicer helm. The 242 has fresh water, better cushions.

Does the 2017 AR240 have additional noise deadening? Was that applied to all models starting in 2015?

I'm super torn...

Bogus

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
2017 year model has articulating keel, while 2014 model is not. And 2017 has better noise deadling

FLJetBoater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
2017 year model has articulating keel, while 2014 model is not. And 2017 has better noise deadling
Is the AK a huge improvement? I could always add aftermarket thrust vectors or cobra fins to get similar control?
The 2014 also has brand new engines with 25 hours them. Previous owner left the drain plug in and wrecked the engines. Their insurance replaced both along with all the wiring.

14SX190

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Is the AK a huge improvement? I could always add aftermarket thrust vectors or cobra fins to get similar control?
The 2014 also has brand new engines with 25 hours them. Previous owner left the drain plug in and wrecked the engines. Their insurance replaced both along with all the wiring.
If they are NOT yamaha OEM
I would say no to SBT replacement

FLJetBoater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
If they are NOT yamaha OEM
I would say no to SBT replacement
On the inspection report they provided the engine manufacturer was checked as "Yamaha". The serial numbers are 6AP102XXXX. When I go see it tonight I will double check the stamps on the engine itself.

Last edited:

captainhook

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
I’d lean toward the 2017 personally due to Connext. I’d also be suspicious what else the previous owner didn’t do correctly.