• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2015-16 Drain Plugs

JTC1016

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Has anyone changed out the factory drain plug on a 2015 or '16 boat with an articulating keel? I haven't taken delivery of my ar240 yet but it looks like the plug housing is integral to the keel. I bought a brass housing and plug, planning on changing it out as soon as I got it but I'm not sure if I'll be able to with that setup. If I can't, I think that will also eliminate the option of drain plug lights.

Attachments

Matt Phillips

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
What's the concern with the stock plug? Am I missing something?

Regardless of what you do, you'll want something that's easily removable. With invasive mussels and weeds so prevalent, it is not uncommon to have park rangers stop you on the way out of parks to ensure that your drain plug is removed. Even when leaving the Lake Tahoe basin at the end of the season, it's common for the State Ag Inspection station to flag me in to check that the drain plug is removed.

JTC1016

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would just prefer a brass or stainless one to plastic, but I'm sure the stock one is probably fine. But the new keel is so slim that it doesn't look like there is room for the flange on a brass one. I also don't know how easy it would be to remove the stock housing or how it is attached.

Matt Phillips

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Thanks...that makes sense on the brass over plastic.

I'll be curious to see what others say about this topic and the value of changing it out vs. leaving it. Will it become yet another scupper as was on the 2009 and newer boats?

OperationROL

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I first frowned at the plastic drain plug and the plastic reverse buckets. Having owned a 2007 SX230 previously, where both items were solid metal, I was expecting the same or better. However, I have since changed my mind. The plastic units are no less effective than metal counterparts. Personally, the plastic plug has grown on me and appreciate being able to install and remove it with only my hands.

I don't remember it the threads are plastic or metal and integrated into the articulating keel base or not, but I bet you could swap out the plug itself. The threads should be standard. As for what it screws into, you are correct, a standard plug housing will not work.