• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

2015 242 Limited S Top Speed Test

If I wanted top speed, I probably wouldn't have bought a Limited S. Also, she only has 5 hours on her, I didn't let her run at full speed for very long, it was windy with a little chop in the gulf of mexico. I'm gonna wait till after her 10hr oil change, then we will see what she can do. regardless, my 4 year old freaks out at about 40mph....

Which is why Scarab is trying to do the go fast thing. Twin 255 hp engines anyone? If they had the family friendly setup like Yamaha, I'd probably be sold.

The new boat does outperform the previous version.......just not for top speed. For me, this is a family boat and the wife and my 3 little girls have no interest in going 50 mph so for us it would be a non-issue. Given the additional length, larger head entrance, lower noise level, better handling, hinged seats, touch screen, etc., I think the new version is significantly better while basically keeping the same top speed. I actually really like the existing power plant (other than the noise level) and they are proven to be very reliable. If they were new engines, half of the board would be saying how they are scared about reliability and wouldn't buy one until they saw how they did over the course of time.
Allow me to clarify, for me to drop $60k (actually closer to $70k after dealer prep and sales taxes) on a new boat it has to outperform my current boat in every way except maybe gas mileage (which by the way I don't think the new model can do since it is a little bigger and probably heavier than previous models). Most of the new features are wants not needs too me, some like the wet bar or 12v outlet at the rear I don't care for at all. The connext system is cool but with two multi function gauges (most of the functions I rarely use now), a fish finder / depth finder and iPad for navigation I already have more telemetry than I can handle. The keel is not something I can just add on to my current boat but if I wanted a boat that tracked straight instead of slide I would have bought a conventional boat with a prop. The subject of this thread is top speed of the new 242ls and from what I've seen so far it is slower than its predecessors. That said, it doesn't meet ALL of MY requirements but obviously meets the requirements of others.

However, I do agree that if yamaha put new power plants in half of us would probably shy away from them at first. Having purchased a used 2010 ls, the first year the 1.8L engines were put in the boats, I completely understand since mine developed leaks on both oil coolers soon after I bought it. The simple solution in my mind and which I could justify spending more than the current $60k asking price is to install supecharged versions of the engines in the l and ls. The sc version has been around for a while first in the Waverunners before it was installed in the 192x. Yes it will kill the mpg but at these msrps I am not worried about the price of gas, I can always throttle back if I was but I can't tap into horsepower that simply isn't there. Sc 1.8L engines in 242s may or may not happen in the future but i can still dream / wish for now.

Last edited:
Ronnie - with your mod list, a new boat probably isn't an upgrade (LOL).

Like you, I purchased a used 24' (2011 with the problematic oil coolers). I have been very happy with the boat and it has met my expectations. I can't justify spending $60-70k on a boat that I am going to use 10-15 times per year. That said, I do have a few things I think on the boat that are long overdue to be addressed (Noise level, low speed handling and hinged cushions). I am somewhat shocked that Yamaha appeared to listen to the owners (or perhaps respond to new competition). For our family, I have never found myself saying "I wish the boat went faster". To be honest, I have never operated the boat at WOT. Of course, there are many users that could care less about the things that we value. Perhaps, some feel the need for speed. Not my thing provided there is more than adequate power which I think the Yamaha has. I tend to agree that with such sweeping changes that you would think the power plants would be addressed as well, but Yamaha decided not to for some reason. I am actually surprised that they did not change the boat name given the level of changes.

You are right, this is a thread on top speed and once again, Will is a great resource for the community. I will stay to the right while you pass on by.

Top speed is not the reason I bought ours either. I don't like pushing anything at WOT but the other day we needed to out run a little rain storm and it was great! Not normal or even really needed but great to have. "Knock on wood" - I have never had the oil cooler issue and the boat has always run pretty fast. According the readout my highest speed is 60. That was the first day out, early afternoon with a flat lake, about 1/4 take of gas two people and not much else. I bet I had a tail wind and didn't even know it! HA :)

Running our boats WOT in anything but flat conditions is really uncomfortable. Thus I usually run between 27 and 35 mph based on conditions. Noise is a factor on flatter seas which will reduce my cruising speed.

I was able to tour a 2015 242 LS this past weekend. I didnt get to ride in it, only checked it out from the trailer. Here are my notes based on my current 2013:

• The front bow is definitely different when viewing from the ground on the trailer. It seems much higher and has different lines than my 13.
  • The extra cup holders cause the rear mooring cover to look different on the swim platform as the cover is pressed around the new cup holders on the lower deck.
  • The seats no longer have those "mesh" inserts (like the 13 does). The entire seat is now smooth with a crosshatch design where the 13 had a different material. Seems a little bit cheaper to me. (See pictures below)yamaha_242limited_13swimplat.jpg 1430-242_Limited_HingedSeatBow_1009.jpg
  • The fuel hatch is now bolted to the floor with matte bolts and washers. No more latch.
  • The "wet bar" has no drain!
  • The head compartment is noticably smaller. I think a head would fit but you dont have as much floor room to move around in. The shelf and the new wet bar take up more room than the previous models.
  • The intake manifold is now some type of composite.
  • The seadek is NICE on the swim platform.
  • The boat doesnt feel any bigger than the previous years. (Remember never drove it)
  • The reclining seats are very comfortable and have bigger hip bolsters to grip you. However the flip up bolster is only about 75% of the width of the front seat. Thus when you stand between it you as still restricted by the other 25% of the seat that does not flip up.
  • The tower is nice but I worry that the bimini wont extend over the driver and co pilot seats. It was not deployed when I was on it.
  • I like having the tower to hold on to and so does my crew when they come stand up in the front. For tall drivers I could see the old tower getting in the way, but not the new one since it no longer extends that far forward.
My overall impression was good, and I was thinking about trading up based on the info I have seen thus far. But now that I checked it out in person, but havent driven it, I definitely dont think it is worth a $20K bath.

I have not driven a 2015 and I know this is a thread about the new 242's and WOT.
But, permit me a short hijack if you will.
Our 242 is very comfortable cruising at slower speeds, solid and predictable. She is great for an easy pleasure cruise around the lake.

But mash the throttles and she is a beast, out of the hole and screaming across the water in mere seconds.
But the comfort and stability isn't lost when the tachs are pegged.
These boats have some great muscle underneath the comfy refined exteriors.

We can go from "pass the Grey Poupon" to "sit down and hold on!"
0 to yeehah and let's get the hell down the lake and find a wakeboard boat so we can get some air!

I love it!

Finally tried for top speed. Calm , Bimini down, full fuel tank. Just me and the wife. 50mph

image-jpg.13050

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    277.7 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:
So basically the same top speed. Good to hear. The noise is lower and the steering has to be a little better. I like the looks of the new tower and I think the Bimini does deploy forward to cover the driver. I can't wait to see the new 242s in person.

So basically the same top speed. Good to hear. The noise is lower and the steering has to be a little better. I like the looks of the new tower and I think the Bimini does deploy forward to cover the driver. I can't wait to see the new 242s in person.
Yes the new towers do look great on these boats.
The black on black or the white on the suede grey both look great.

Back