• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2015 242LS Error Message

morgro269

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Has anyone seen this before? None of the dash electronics work (Tach's, Connext screen, joystick, cruise buttons, etc)... I've tried rebooting everything numerous times. I reseated the connector on the back of the screen. boat error.jpeg The boat starts and drives, just no electronics...

Bennie

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Blown fuse?

Just a guess but with a total loss of certain electronics I'm going with either a blown fuse or an ECM failure. What do you think @Julian

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
The message at the top I would assume to be can4 loss of communication with guages/stereo. I would check the following... Both batteries on and charged (check for at least 12 volts with volt meter). Next check the fuses in the battery compartment, lastly check the connections are fully seated for everything in the helm area including the gps antenna. As a last ditch try emergency combine on the batteries.

The closed area network is sensitve to needing to right voltage to operate and given that is is a network that can have branches in series one lose connector in the middle can cause issues.

If all of that fails you are stuck going to the dealer but you may still be under warranty.

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
A couple more details to add. Make sure your battery switches are off and that the dvsr led is off when testing voltage. Turning off the battery switches and disconnecting the battery cables then turning on the switches on and off a few times finishing in off before reconnecting will purge any latent current and ensure a full reset of the electronics.

morgro269

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Thanks for the suggestions guys. Voltage on the batteries is 12.4. I will remove the battery cables tomorrow and see if that has any effect. This did happen once before and cycling the battery switches cleared it. Not this time though.

Does CAN 4 mean closed area network 4? If so, does that mean there are closed area networks 1 through a certain number? Does CAN 4 help isolate the issue? Would a wiring diagram show which sensors make up each CAN?

morgro269

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Ok... I think I answered my question and maybe have figured this out. When I pull up the parts diagram, there is a section for electrical 1- 4. Electrical 4 contains all of the parts affected so I think CAN 4 = electrical 4. My transducer has not worked since getting the boat back from having the hull repaired. I know, I should've made them fix it before I took it but I wasn't willing to miss out on my summer because of it. For the past 35 or so hours of use my depth read 0 or just held steady at a random number. They never reinstalled a new transducer. No hole in the hull, nothing. Now I'm wondering if it was flapping around in the hull and finally came disconnected. Anyone know where I should look for it? In the exhaust area?

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Can4 could just mean version 4 of the protocol. The transducer sends analog signals to the adc on the ecu board that are then converted to to a digital values for the processor to work with. If your issue started happening at the excact same time then possibly it could be the transducer but otherwise I would think it to be unlikely that the transducer is the cause.

Zeus2013

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I had the same issue two weeks ago. My house battery was low. Connext came on with the same screen and errors but nothing worked at all. Charged the battery as it was low and everything was fine.

If you got a 12.4v reading was it just after you ran the engines? You could get a surface charge that high but actual power is much lower.

Dave burke

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I just had the same problem. Haven’t used the boat for about a month so I’m hoping that the house battery is low. Will check and charge it tomorrow.

@morgro269 did you ever find out what your problem was? Thx.

morgro269

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Low battery.... causes all kinds of weird issues....

Dave burke

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Charged the battery overnight and still have the same problem. Disconnected the cables to the battery and checked the voltage. Reads 12.8 volts. Tried cycling the battery switches off and on a few times and even tried emergency parrellel. No luck.

Any other thoughts guys? Thx