• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2015 AR240 Maiden Voyage

Edward

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So Sunday was our maiden voyage. I haven't set in stone our pre-departure checklist, pre-launch and recovery checklist but used @txav8r checklist as a starting point and it served well.

We couldn't go without our kiddos so having quiet alone time with the new boat wasn't possible. The wife and I agreed that we believed we could keep the inline so not to stress out our first voyage. For the most part that was the case.

Ended up going to lake lavon at the east fork park. Last couple years we've been going to Ray Roberts but that adds another 30 to 4o minutes to the trip. Do look forward to that lake later this year though.

Launch was good. A bit windy but nothing nothing that was putting up red flags. Mind you, this is my first time alone driving a jet boat. Pulled off, got clear of the ramp and waited about 10 yards away from the dock so the wife could park and bring the kids to the dock. In the meantime a larger boat, maybe a 26 or 28 footer docked and looked like he was waiting for someone. Wife and kids now walking to dock and the man now signaling to me to come in and I'm thinking "dude, this is my maiden voyage and I'm not getting close to you" as there wasn't really space. Got close enough to hear him say to tie up against him.

Okay.....I can do this. During the 5 minutes I was waiting for the wife and kids before they started walking I was spinning the boat and moving forward and backward getting a good feel for the maneuverability, so, once I could understand the man at the dock and split second decided to just go with the flow I was able to slowly and carefully put the boat right next to his and grab his boat and pull myself in and hold. You should have seen the look on my wife's face, like "what the hell are you doing".

Anyways, it went smooth and she and the kids boarded his boat to get to ours. That was a first at the ramp dock but it worked out okay and everyone was safe and both vessels were safe as well. I will say this, I can already feel that this boat has so much capability in the maneuverability department....very excited and can't wait to hone my skills.

Under way the boat was flawless. Followed the breakin and the kids had fun cruising around. Bimini top is a bit challenging but I can live with that. Having plenty of space is just awesome. Keeping throttles synced was a bit challenging but pretty sure I can overcome that. Stopped for a while, had lunch and the kids were determined to swim so we did. Holy cow it was it cold. Very awesome sitting on the back of the boat hanging out and enjoying the lake with the kids. Even though only 1 outing into the boat I already felt our investment had paid for itself.

Practiced approach and lining up for docking at a closed ramp that still had a floating dock. Was a bit challenged there. I feel I can hold the boat in position well just couldn't get close enough. Tried to crab walk it but the wind wasn't helping for some reason. Maybe I needed more bumps of throttle. Decided not to get frustrated but rather head to the marina and let the kids look at the boats while I practiced no wake in calm waters. I love the fact you can easily spin this boat and hoping I can master this thing. I can feel that this thing will do what you tell it to I just can't get my brain to do it yet. Confident I'll get there though.

Recovery was a bit challenging. Approaching the dock I thought the wind was straight at me. Approached the dock at slight angle. Got close and then throttles in reverse and wheel to dock to pull in but then the bow blew into the dock before the stern could swing around... Good thing I had a bumper up there.

Anyhow....no damage and tied up and kids and wife off to get vehicle. Wife backs trailer in but first time not straight and at an angle. Second time still too angled. Third time still too angled. Fourth time, bingo. She was a bit rattled but I think she just didn't realize how long the trailer is and her inputs from the wheel needed longer distance or sharper corrections with shorter distance. Given it was her first time she did good.

Got the boat on safely, tied up and secured for home. Excellent day. Very happy. Perfect, no. Made great memories and look forward to more.

A few pics of our voyage. Enjoy.
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
edited by txav8r to show full images instead of thumbnails...

Last edited by a moderator:

OperationROL

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Sweet story! Now there is only smooth sailing ahead!

bmb5150

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That sounds similar like how our 1st time out was. Great story & glad all was safe. We feel what you went through, we had some nasty winds when we loaded too. My wife was at the helm & I was at the trailer.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Sounds like a great first outing! I would have not been in favor of docking against the other boat when I was a rookie and not sure I would want to do it now...unless he had out 3 or 4 fenders and I did too! You never know how the boats will line up until they are against each other. Glad that went well. Crab walking is possible, if it is dead calm. If you have wind, you can't get enough side thrust to move the boat toward the dock...unless the wind is pushing you that way. My favorite approach is to just approach at a 45 degree angle to the dock in forward idle. Now depending on wind, I may be feathering it in/out of neutral to forward idle to keep my speed down, or...I may be carrying extra speed if going into the wind. When I am just almost to the dock with the leading bow side, I simultaneously drop into reverse idle and cut the wheel toward the dock, and that will both stop my forward movement and bring the boat parallel to the dock. This is sticky with wind, and why I also will put out a bow fender on the aft end of the grab rail in the bow. If I cut late, have wind pushing me, or misjudge in any way, that little bump won't leave a mark! If your doing this move against the wind, you have to have enough forward momentum to continue the drift toward the dock after you bring it alongside. If you have a tailwind, you have to allow for that as well. Walking these boats sideways isn't as predictable unless the wind absolutely favors you, and even in dead calm, it will walk easier to the starboard than to port, due to impeller rotation direction. I have found myself more embarrassed attempting that move than any other. The best remedy is to just move slowly and bail out on an approach, spin around and do it again if it isn't looking like you need it to. I have had days that even a crossing light breeze wouldn't let me back into a slip because the drift was too great, and I just gave up and came in bow first. It is like anything, play the odds and work with what it gives you...don't force a bad position. Congrats on the new boat, the first outing, and welcome aboard once again! Oh yeah, alter that checklist to make it work for the way you use your boat!