• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2015 Limited S with low RPM issue

Craig

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Hello @Craig . If and when the dealer finds the source of your leak, please let me know. I have the same year and model as you and have not been able to determine where my leak coming from. I think I may need to remove my clean tray cover next as I have exhausted all other areas. Thanks.
Will do, I've even tightened clamps and other items in the area underneath the clean out tray, still taking on water. I'm beginning to wonder if it's that cheap plastic drain plug they put in these boats?

Jonathan Pisarczyk

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I've also got the same issue. I'm starting to think it's either the cheap drain plug or the anchor storage area.

rkgdmd

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I'm beginning to wonder if it's that cheap plastic drain plug they put in these boats?
Exactly! I cannot believe the crappy quality of that drain plug. My 2013 had a high quality metal plug....now these new plugs are so flimsy they bend when you hand tighten them. Definitely does not inspire confidence. I also noticed that the o-ring does not stay in it's seat. I have to manually push it back in position once it's been removed.

Craig

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Exactly! I cannot believe the crappy quality of that drain plug. My 2013 had a high quality metal plug....now these new plugs are so flimsy they bend when you hand tighten them. Definitely does not inspire confidence. I also noticed that the o-ring does not stay in it's seat. I have to manually push it back in position once it's been removed.
Tbh..I'm wishing I had kept my '13 at this point. It was a carb boat but at least it ran 48 mph and didn't take on water.

Williamsone46

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
This is how mine has ran with the different setups.
- Stock @ 4500 ft I got around 6600 rpm with speeds between 40-44 mph
- Riva spacers @ 4500 ft I got around 7000 rpm with speeds between 44-46 mph (favorite/current setup)
- Riva spacers / high altitude impellers @ 4500 ft I got around 7400 rpm with speeds between 45-47 mph

These numbers though are so hard to judge from one user to another. Due to all the different variations, for example: load, altitude, air temp, water conditions, setup, etc... I've also seen a lot of people compare the 2015's performance to the 2014's and in my point of view they shouldn't compare straight across. The 2015's have a keel, rudder, 6" more length, they weight more, all pointing to them having less performance.

Williamsone46

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
@Craig @rkgdmd @Jonathan Pisarczyk How much water are yours taking on? Mine takes a some water, but not enough to worry about. My 2012 212X took on what looked like 10-15 gallons of water it seemed, it had me nervous to the point where I called and spoke Yamaha about it. They suggested I put a five gallon bucket under it the next time and measure it, and that they would be surprised if it was more than a few gallons. Just as the said it was only at the most 2-3 gallons after a full day of watersports, not enough to worry about.

SamCF

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
The YDS software reads throttle opening in degrees. 90 would be full open. My 192 stops at 80 degrees without the engine running, that may be what your tech is seeing. Wide open throttle on the water, my throttle only shows 66 degrees open. Just imagine how fast it would be with full throttle.

rkgdmd

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
. I've also seen a lot of people compare the 2015's performance to the 2014's and in my point of view they shouldn't compare straight across. The 2015's have a keel, rudder, 6" more length, they weight more, all pointing to them having less performance.
I agree. What concerns me though is that at sea level one would expect the max RPM to be close to 7500. Top speed can vary greatly, but I would think top engine RPM would not vary greatly at a given elevation. Boattest has shown the 2015's to be capable of 50+ mph speeds.

Mine takes a some water, but not enough to worry about. My 2012 212X took on what looked like 10-15 gallons of water it seemed, it had me nervous to the point where I called and spoke Yamaha about it. They suggested I put a five gallon bucket under it the next time and measure it, and that they would be surprised if it was more than a few gallons. Just as the said it was only at the most 2-3 gallons after a full day of watersports, not enough to worry about.
This does make me feel somewhat better. I generally use my boat for 1 to 2 weeks at a time. It is in the water that whole period of time. My 2013 would be bone dry after two weeks and that is why I was a little concerned that my 2015 would take on several gallons/day. Yamaha's official stance on this is that 3-5 gallons/day is acceptable?

rkgdmd

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
My 192 stops at 80 degrees without the engine running, that may be what your tech is seeing. Wide open throttle on the water, my throttle only shows 66 degrees open. Just imagine how fast it would be with full throttle.
Several people have now confirmed this for me....that approx 80 degrees at WOT is normal when the engines are off. Weird that it's so much less when you're on the water. Thanks for the info!

Williamsone46

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
This does make me feel somewhat better. I generally use my boat for 1 to 2 weeks at a time. It is in the water that whole period of time. My 2013 would be bone dry after two weeks and that is why I was a little concerned that my 2015 would take on several gallons/day. Yamaha's official stance on this is that 3-5 gallons/day is acceptable?
No, not officially. But from what I gathered 3 gallons could come from anywhere, drip drying, leaking through clean outs, drain plugs.. est. But not enough to worry about.

rkgdmd

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
No, not officially. But from what I gathered 3 gallons could come from anywhere, drip drying, leaking through clean outs, drain plugs.. est. But not enough to worry about.
OK.... I'm not going to sweat it anymore. Thanks Adam. Unfortunately, my OCD probably won't allow me to stop looking anyway. LOL.

Williamsone46

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
OK.... I'm not going to sweat it anymore. Thanks Adam. Unfortunately, my OCD probably won't allow me to stop looking anyway. LOL.
Me either, but at least I don't worry about it as much!

Craig

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@Craig @rkgdmd @Jonathan Pisarczyk How much water are yours taking on? Mine takes a some water, but not enough to worry about. My 2012 212X took on what looked like 10-15 gallons of water it seemed, it had me nervous to the point where I called and spoke Yamaha about it. They suggested I put a five gallon bucket under it the next time and measure it, and that they would be surprised if it was more than a few gallons. Just as the said it was only at the most 2-3 gallons after a full day of watersports, not enough to worry about.
Last time out the bilge kicked on twice. All plugs were closed within the boat (ski locker, engine comp, etc).From what my dealer told me was that it takes app 10 gallons for the water level to be high enough to activate the bilge pump? Additionally last time out after loading and pulling the plug it seemed to drain forever. I have no idea how much water drained but it was for more than 5 mins I know. I double checked the blow out plugs and they both had water standing on top of them so I feel they were both sealed well as the water held even after loading and only drained after I pulled each. I've checked everywhere that I can think of and can't find the leak. I've stuck the water hose in the bilge and watched for leaks while out of the water as well. I've inspected the area around the drain plug for any debris that may be preventing it from sealing well and even rinsed it thoroughly just in case. I asked the dealer if the new keel design might take on water since the metal area of the keel meets fiberglass and may possibly leak, he replied it shouldn't....between the low top end and excess water (and it being new) I'm getting more than a little frustrated. It's headed to the dealer in the next couple weeks and will stay there until the issues are fixed even if that takes all season.

Williamsone46

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Last time out the bilge kicked on twice. All plugs were closed within the boat (ski locker, engine comp, etc).From what my dealer told me was that it takes app 10 gallons for the water level to be high enough to activate the bilge pump? Additionally last time out after loading and pulling the plug it seemed to drain forever. I have no idea how much water drained but it was for more than 5 mins I know. I double checked the blow out plugs and they both had water standing on top of them so I feel they were both sealed well as the water held even after loading and only drained after I pulled each. I've checked everywhere that I can think of and can't find the leak. I've stuck the water hose in the bilge and watched for leaks while out of the water as well. I've inspected the area around the drain plug for any debris that may be preventing it from sealing well and even rinsed it thoroughly just in case. I asked the dealer if the new keel design might take on water since the metal area of the keel meets fiberglass and may possibly leak, he replied it shouldn't....between the low top end and excess water (and it being new) I'm getting more than a little frustrated. It's headed to the dealer in the next couple weeks and will stay there until the issues are fixed even if that takes all season.
The bilge kicks on way before 10 gallons!

Jonathan Pisarczyk

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I've probably got at least 1 Gallon each time out on the water. I couldn't imagine leaving the boat in the water all season with that...