• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2015 Scarab 165 Maintenance

greenwood

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I am getting ready to order my 165 and have a few questions for you all.

My dealer is 150 miles away so can you advise the following.

When is first maintenance due and can I bring to a local person who is certified on the Rotax?
or can I do this maintenance myself ?
What type of yearly maintenance is required and is it relatively easy to do?

Thanks for any assistance you guys and gals know your stuff about these boats.

ScarabMike

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@greenwood The scheduled maintenance at first is extremely important especially if you have the supercharged engine.

Any Rotax dealer can work on the engine. I have mine serviced at a Can-Am dealer because Marine Max is almost impossible to get into, plus they were having issues with the BRP software.

Your boat will need to get seen for an oil change after 25 hours. There will be a "maintenance required" light on the dash. This one is important because if you dont take the boat in to get the check, it might void your warranty. They will check it out, and reset the clock to 75 hours or 50 hours after the maintenance.

ScarabMike

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Also, all Rotax service locations are not equal. Make sure whoever you take the boat to has the latest software, and knows how to run the engine out of water.

greenwood

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Thanks that helps a lot.
I contacted BRP and they stated there is a Seadoo dealer close to me but they also said they do not make the boat so I would have to contact that dealer.
Can you advise how to re-set the maintenance light or reminder in case I have to do it?
It will be the 150 HP engine not the supercharged.
Thanks

ScarabMike

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@greenwood Just hold "select" and "mode" for 3 seconds, and the maintenance light will go away, but the message will still continue on start-up in the digital display until reset by the dealer.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
BRP has proprietary software and module that one needs to access the ECU. Only dealers have this.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

doxdale

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 ID
Boat Length
So, I serviced my 2016 Scarab 165 at a Can Am dealer when it had 14 hours on it after the first season. I just clicked over 24 hours and this light comes on. Obviously the dealer did not "reset" this clock. The only way I can get rid of this light is go back to the dealer?

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
There is an official service at 25 hours. That's probably what you just got. I suspect he did reset it.... you're just at the next "major service" step when you get a brand new boat. Here's a reference, second post: https://jetboaters.net/threads/first-service-oil-change-questions.6077/

After the 25h, then you're on "normal" operation onwards.

For resetting, yes. You need the candoo software... you can buy it (I think it's about $400 USD) or you need a dealer.

doxdale

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 ID
Boat Length
Thanks Luc,
Proprietary software, you gotta love it.
Appreciate the input.
Doxdale