• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Reminder of the Thrust Vector and Lateral Thruster group buy through JetBoatPilot.....you only have Until AUGUST 31st. to get in on this group buy.
    With a Maximum discount of 35% this is the highest discount you can get on these, so don't miss out!
    So if you are looking to improve your steering-either forwards or in reverse.....this sale may be for you!  

Thank you Will @jetboatpilot for offering this exclusively to JETBOATERS.net members!

(You can click the X to the right to dismiss this notice)

2015 Scarab 215 (twin engine): Newbee question about bad noise and vibrations

Franchise

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Hello brothers and sisters. I went out on my local lake tonight to watch a firework show around 10PM. Everything was normal until I was heading back to the doc. I was basically allowing the boat to cruise at like 2-4MPH. When I went to give it gas, the boat started making this very bad grinding sound and the whole boat was vibrating.

I have been aware of ppl pulling in rope. I don't think I possibly pulled anything up. There was one area I drove over for a few minutes when it was 2-3 ft deep but it was more of a idle drive at that point.

Anyone have any idea what it could be? Anything I can do to check it myself or do you recommend taking it to service? I just got this a few weeks ago and hate to have to wait for it.

Hello brothers and sisters. I went out on my local lake tonight to watch a firework show around 10PM. Everything was normal until I was heading back to the doc. I was basically allowing the boat to cruise at like 2-4MPH. When I went to give it gas, the boat started making this very bad grinding sound and the whole boat was vibrating.

I have been aware of ppl pulling in rope. I don't think I possibly pulled anything up. There was one area I drove over for a few minutes when it was 2-3 ft deep but it was more of a idle drive at that point.

Anyone have any idea what it could be? Anything I can do to check it myself or do you recommend taking it to service? I just got this a few weeks ago and hate to have to wait for it.
You most likely ingested something that got stuck between the impeller and wear ring. Could be very small, sometimes not much bigger than a match...
Sometimes the reverse maneuver and/or a hard run in deep water will take care of the problem. If not, may need to pull the pump and inspect - looking for debris, could be very small.

EDIT: if a twin, do you get the vibrations running one side only? That can narrow it down.
--

it is a twin engine... if it is, what do you think it could be?

ill head out there soon and try it in reverse ... i was worried about pushing the throttle too much because I thought it may cause more damage?

Last edited:
had a similar issue durring the week after leaveing a dock to drop someone off to go and get the trailer it did it for about a about 45 seconds and stoped i still inspected the pump when it was on the trailer and found nothing. it was fine for the first 1.5 hours the next day and it started againe and wouldnt stop this time. i got under the boat and couldnt see anything in the pump so we just floated for the rest of the day. it was a pretty bad vibration especially over 4000 rpms and a significant loss of trust in that pump. i posted a picture of what i found in the pump on the second inspection. it was stuck between a impeller blade and the wear ring

Attachments

• 20180704_162728.jpg
    20180704_162728.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 26
the reverse move mentioned above is put the boat in reverse, go a little bit, and then in one motion - throw the throttle in forward (moves reverse buckets up) and turn off engine (pull lanyard or turn off engines- which ever you can do quick). this forces water back through system.

the question about 2 engines was... if you run on 1 engine and not the other, do you get the vibration for both engines? If one engine vibrates, and other doesn't then you know which pump has issue.

Thanks everyone for your help. Like the post above, I went out and it worked fine. Last night when I docked it.. I kicked it in reverse and forward. Wondering if I discharged whatever was there? I guess I'll keep my eye on it and fingers crossed no issues.

Back