• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2015 SX192 supercharger clutch fail!

Irvs

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
I think my boat broke again!

Problem:
-I was cruising at WOT on choppy water. Loss power all of a sudden and wouldn't rev past 5500RPM ish. Idles and runs fine up until 5500 ish.
-At the 5500RPM ish mark, whenever I tried to increase the throttle it acted like it wasn't getting enough fuel (kind of).

Conditions:
- Water temp was 88deg.
- Water was choppy.
- I did observe the rpms go down from 7500 to 7000 ish due to engine heat soak (or probably this is when the clutch started slipping).

Troubleshooting:
- Jet pump was clear. No debris.
- Water was circulating in the engine. Water coming out of the pisser. Cooling system works.
- Checked for supercharger air leaks. No disconnected hoses.

Did my supercharger clutch go out on me?

****Current engine hours are 215 ish and I drive the boat pretty aggressive****

Last edited:

SamCF

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
It sounds like it did. Pull the intake hose off of the charger and see if the charger wheel spins both ways.

Do you run in heavy chop a lot where the pump catches air? If you are full throttle and chop the throttle back hard, that is as hard on it as the pump coming unhooked. Any time the engine is under full boost and the throttle gets cut, the clutch takes a beating.

If you run it in those conditions, I would say it did really good to hit 215 hours.

Last edited:

d_coyne1984

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I'm not trying to sidetrack this thread, but how did it break the first time. It's always good to know what the weak points are and what to watch/listen for.

Irvs

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
@SamCF - Thanks. I'll check that today. Yeah, the pump has been airborne in the past. I should've gotten a blow off valve :/

@d_coyne1984 - When I first got the boat, I removed the restrictor but left the rubber gasket that goes around it.....so naturally, it got sucked in and destroyed the head requiring a new head. The boat has been great otherwise!

Irvs

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
@SamCF - ...bad news. Yes, my supercharger wheel spins freely both ways. VERY FREELY :(

Just ordered the parts. The damage was about ~$450

LESSONS LEARNED: install a BOV to protect your supercharger clutch!

SamCF

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
Sorry that happened to you. That's a good price on the parts. Are you going to do the repair yourself? I've read a little about it. Doesn't look to hard, but not something I want to have to do.

Irvs

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
Yeah man, I'm planning on doing the work myself just for the learning experience :) I should've listened to my mechanic about 100 engine hrs ago when he told me to install the BOV regardless of being stock.

I got the parts from www.yamahapartsnation.com

I could not find them cheaper anywhere!

There's a good 3 part YouTube video that I'm going to follow haha.

Hopefully the boat will be ready before labor day!

So yeah: when your boat runs fine until about 5500 rpms and acts like it isnt hetting enough gas past that point.....more than likely you're not making any boost and your supercharger clutch is gone.

SamCF

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
How fast would the boat go after the clutch failed?

Irvs

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
Amazingly it got on plane at one point in calmer waters doing 20mph @5500rpm (according to the Speedo and tach). Otherwise it only got to not even 10mph.

Full tank of gas and 2 adults.

4wheeldeal

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
I'm surprised that would happen since we barely get out of the air I guess it's giving it throttle than letting off in the Boost is nowhere to go that's causing the issues on the boats. I would consider putting one in later on but I've been slowly letting off the throttle and not at an abrupt stop so the boost doesn't build up.

Tom V

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
At 65 hrs mine went out. Easy fix, it should have lasted longer then it did. Takes about 1.5 hrs to do it.

Jharrisok

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Will you post the link to the YouTube videos?

I think I am having the same problem. Mine will run fine until it get warm then the RPMs will drop for a split second then rev back up. I thought I got bad gas but after reading this maybe my supercharger is going out? It seems to happen more if I am pulling someone on the tube or wakeboard.

4wheeldeal

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
There was another issue with the 13+ SHO about the Volute walking out and contacting the housing.

Great video..

It's funny all these little issues which may or may not actually happen to me makes me wonder if I should get the extended warranty which will cost me $1600 for 4 more years or just spend a couple hundred and fix them all myself and have a better boat in the end.

chamilton89

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Jet Ski
Boat Length
PWC
Hate to pump up an old thread but I am having a similar issue with a lack of power. Same boat as the OP, 2015 AR 192. Max speed is around 38 and RPM's hover around 6800. Everyone says that if the supercharger had gone I wouldn't get more than 5k - 5500 rpm. Could I still have a supercharger clutch slipping issue?

KevJul2019

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@SamCF - ...bad news. Yes, my supercharger wheel spins freely both ways. VERY FREELY :(

Just ordered the parts. The damage was about ~$450

LESSONS LEARNED: install a BOV to protect your supercharger clutch!
BOV is?? Line or pictures please.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

KevJul2019

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
It sounds like it did. Pull the intake hose off of the charger and see if the charger wheel spins both ways.

Do you run in heavy chop a lot where the pump catches air? If you are full throttle and chop the throttle back hard, that is as hard on it as the pump coming unhooked. Any time the engine is under full boost and the throttle gets cut, the clutch takes a beating.

If you run it in those conditions, I would say it did really good to hit 215 hours.
So if you run in choppy conditions, drive slow?

Crob83

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
BOV is?? Line or pictures please.
Just for reference here is mine. From fizzle factory, got the no name brand. Was $250 I believe, has good reviews and a couple hundred cheaper than the TiAL or HKS sequential. Not too bad to install either, I am as novice as they come and managed to do it

Attachments