• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2015 VR243

Eric Feyer

Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length
Hey all, new jet boater here. Just bought a 243 VR in Late april. Love the boat, buying experience was good from dealer. Used it almost every day/weekend for the first two months. On June 10 I heard a noise while making a loop to pick up a skier and after that the port side engine would not start. We got the boat on the trailer and called the dealer. He said to bring it on up(we're about an hour and a half away) and he would jump on it. 4.5 weeks later and missing our first 4th of July with the boat we got it back with a new port side engine and new supercharger. The service was terrible from the dealer. No communication unless I pestered them to death. No explanation of what they found. When I would call to find out progress all they would say is "we're working on it". I once asked the manager to get me more specifics and he said they were working on it "50 yards away" and he didn't know where or what they were doing. I got the boat back filthy. Grease on floor. Found 3 screws today. Not sure what they go to... Very bad experience.
The reason for my post is, they told me to not exceed the rpms for breakin in the Manual(6-7k rpms) . Today I got two fault codes and was just wondering what anyone here thought before I dealt with this dealer again. I really don't want to bring it back there. We are planning on taking boat to Lake Gaston next week so don't want another service visit. The codes are P013F and P013A. Any thoughts are very much appreciated. Thanks again!
Eric

BobJohnson

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length

blackhawkpilot

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
@BobJohnson - Thanks for quoting my post. @Eric Feyer - I have the same issue (less than 30 hours), except I only have the P013A code with the Check Engine light flashing in my face. I've found this http://www.autocodes.com/p013f.html and this http://www.autocodes.com/p013a.html for you. They both reference the O2 sensor.

I've discovered the owner's manuals for these boats are CRAP!! They might as well have given me a manual for a 1993 Bayliner 195. But anyway...I called the dealer yesterday and spoke with the service department about it. I'm also about an hour and a half away, so a phone call is much better than a drive for me. He confirmed that it is the O2 sensor but is also nothing to worry about (immediately). He has them on back order and said he would call me when they come in so I can get it replaced. Mine still runs like a champ even with the fault codes, so I'm going to take his word for it and get back out on the water while waiting for them to come in. You "should" be OK as well, but don't take my word for it.

JetTech72

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
P013A & P013F are related to slow response of the 2nd O2 sensor, which is basically used as a diagnostic device to monitor the 1st O2 sensor.
They most probably have been contaminated with water, ask dealer to inspect your catalyst housing seals.
Such faults will not affect the engine operation, except having the annoying check engine light on.

smashedheadcat

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Absolutely. An o2 sensor downstream of a catalytic converter is simply present to monitor catalyst efficiency. They do not adversely affect engine operation.

Joatmon

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
255 SE
Boat Length
P013A & P013F are related to slow response of the 2nd O2 sensor, which is basically used as a diagnostic device to monitor the 1st O2 sensor.
They most probably have been contaminated with water, ask dealer to inspect your catalyst housing seals.
Such faults will not affect the engine operation, except having the annoying check engine light on.
I know this is an old post, but I have the same P013F fault. Now that I know what is causing the fault did you do anything to prevent the fault from reoccurring?

Thanks

JetTech72

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
The dealership tech said improvement were introduced starting 2017 to the Rotax Catalytic exhaust system to prevent such repetitive issue.
From what he was told the system is not yet perfect, but WAY better. Some O2 sensors failure can still occurs once in a while on boat that are used in salt water & not flushed regularly.

Joatmon

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
255 SE
Boat Length
That could explain it. My 2017 Scarab has engines manufactured in 2014 and I boat in saltwater. I don't always flush thoroughly. I will see if I can find the sensor and see if I can clean.

Thanks

JetTech72

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
Is your exhaust system unpainted or painted?
If need be you could always by O2 sensors online : BOSCH # 0258006956 or BRP # 707600872

Joatmon

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
255 SE
Boat Length
Unpainted. Thanks for the information.

Jet Boat Brant

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
215 ID
Boat Length
Is your exhaust system unpainted or painted?
If need be you could always by O2 sensors online : BOSCH # 0258006956 or BRP # 707600872
Are these the same part numbers for a 2014 Scarab 215 HO Impulse? Do we have to have the CanDoo tool to clear the codes after we replace the sensors?

JetTech72

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
Are these the same part numbers for a 2014 Scarab 215 HO Impulse? Do we have to have the CanDoo tool to clear the codes after we replace the sensors?
Yes the O2 sensor are the same for all Rotax engines. The code should healed itself after 3 driving cycles

Best deal for O2 sensor Amazon Bosch #15894

Joatmon

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
255 SE
Boat Length
Yes the O2 sensor are the same for all Rotax engines. The code should healed itself after 3 driving cycles

Best deal for O2 sensor Amazon Bosch #15894
It was my understanding there are two basic type of O2 sensors outputs. Digital (on/off) only and analog or linear to vary to output signal. The Rotax engines use the analog. Is this true?

waternutt

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length
Anyone have any suggestions on removing this O2 sensor that is corroded/stuck in place? I have the proper wrench and replacement sensor but I cannot get that thing to budge.

Joatmon

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
255 SE
Boat Length
I suggest spraying the sensor threads with a penetrating oil or WD40 and let soak for 30 minutes then try.

Joatmon

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
255 SE
Boat Length
Once you get the sensor to move work it back and forth (unscrew and screw in) while adding more fluid to the threads.

Shawn Weatherly

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Ok, the trick is to spray it with Kroil or a 50/50 mix of ATF and kerosene, and let it soak for 15 minutes then heat it up by either starting it or using a torch like a benzomatic. Then once it starts cooling down spray it again. It will come out easily