• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2015 vs 2016 Vortex. Differences ?

ChrisM

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length
I'm not familiar with a clean out port, BRP doesn't do it on their PWC's, and Chaparral appears no to do it either. Are you able to post a pic of a clean out port? I'm looking for a visual. On my Seadoo I had just passed through a no wake area under a bridge, upon acceleration I quickly learned what cavatation was, unable to detect anything by hand in the intake grate, or through the nozzle, I had friends tow me back to the dock. Once home I removed the pump and found the tiniest piece of a cedar wood chip embedded in the wear ring. In a case like that a clean out would be useless I guess. Switching to a stainless wear ring would not be wise, because you transfer the wear away from the ring, and place most of it on the impeller. It would be nice if the pump was designed similar to a swing away trailer tongue, you could service on the fly then.

fairpilot

Jetboaters Commander
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have to side with maboat on the cleanout issue, not that it has deterred me totally from the chaparral but it has made me think of the issues I could face. We boat in florida, both salt and fresh water, the fresh water area does have a form of sea grass that are chopped up by prop boats and floating in water. Every single time we go to the certain areas we ingest a small amount of this grass during our idle time, when time to resume normal speed the boat will vibrate badly and we have to stop, pull the cleanout plug and remove grass, sometime just one 6-8 inch blade causes the vibration. sometimes this can be cleared with the reverse move but 5 out of 10 times we gotta pull the plug, I have had plastic bags and even a Pill bottle get stuck in there and with out plug would have limped home or gone for a swim. I have never run over a ski rope, it just takes paying attention to not do that. Salesmen for chaparral have fed me so much BS about the shaft guard and how nothing will get into impeller or if it does it will be chopped up, then i finally let them know i own a jet boat and tell them thats a terrible way to be selling and you are lying to you potential customers. I love the Chap boat, it is still on my mind to buy but I just don't want to find myself kicking my ass around my boat when something is stuck and the only way to get it out is to go into the black alligator water under my boat:woot::woot:
I think the Chaparral boat is beautiful so the decision is a tough one., prob going to stay with my 2006 a few more years to see what changes

fairpilot

Jetboaters Commander
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
IMAG0549.jpg IMAG0547.jpg

With that hole we can reach all the way down into water or feel for something stuck around inpeller

maboat

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm not familiar with a clean out port, BRP doesn't do it on their PWC's, and Chaparral appears no to do it either. Are you able to post a pic of a clean out port? I'm looking for a visual. On my Seadoo I had just passed through a no wake area under a bridge, upon acceleration I quickly learned what cavatation was, unable to detect anything by hand in the intake grate, or through the nozzle, I had friends tow me back to the dock. Once home I removed the pump and found the tiniest piece of a cedar wood chip embedded in the wear ring. In a case like that a clean out would be useless I guess. Switching to a stainless wear ring would not be wise, because you transfer the wear away from the ring, and place most of it on the impeller. It would be nice if the pump was designed similar to a swing away trailer tongue, you could service on the fly then.
Chaparral doesn't have them because they use the BRP drivetrain. Likewise for any other brand/watercraft that uses the BRP jetdrive. I'm not positive, but I think Yamaha has a patent on the cleanout port and that's why nobody else has it.

I'm not sure what you mean about a wood chip embedded in the wear ring and a cleanout being useless. I have definitely pulled out many a wood chip or small stick by using the cleanout port. Sticks and plastic bags or bottles are notorious for getting lodged in the impeller and the smallest piece can cause a surprising about of incapacitation.

My feelings match @fairpilot almost exactly. I am very interested in the Chaparral jetboats and the lack of cleanout port has not deterred me completely. But knowing the number of times a small stick or bag has almost disabled the jet thrust and was easily removed on the spot without me having to go in the water has me really pausing on any decision to give that up.

ChrisM

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length
I lived in SW Florida for 26 years before moving to the carolinas, I think water debris conditions down there would warrant a clean out for sure, fortunately our local man made lakes here are relatively debris free, but man the debris from timber is bad. If a clean out on the BRP system would allow me to feel all the way around the wear ring, bumping the engine over to move the impeller, than that would surely have helped me. I noticed the ride plates on the Chaparral are hull specific too, compared to the PWC's

Skymonkey

Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
I have a 243 Vortex VRX on the way (2016) and the differences between the 2015 and 2016 are more sound deadening material in the engine compartment and a seat cushion for the pass through.
I just got my '15 203 VRX I would love to see some pics of the added sound dampening. I love the maneuverability of this boat. Being able to steer while in neutral is amazing!

jasper081377

Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length
Very cool. I suspect your perception of the twin 150s as underpowered is directly related to your Seadoo experience/baseline. Much like pretty much any non supercar feels tame and dull after riding a liter class sport bike.
Very cool. I suspect your perception of the twin 150s as underpowered is directly related to your Seadoo experience/baseline. Much like pretty much any non supercar feels tame and dull after riding a liter class sport bike.
is the 150s supercharged not enough power on the VR223 ?

JetTech72

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
Depends what you want to do & how loaded you will be running the boat, but should be a good set-up as a pleasure boat.
VR223 with twin 150 would run around 42/44 mph