• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2015 Yamaha 212ss Stereo Upgrade

agarabaghi

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Looking do upgrade the stereo in the Yamaha 212ss.

Couple Questions:
1) Clarion headunit, is that single din cut out or true double din? Has anyone found a replacement with bluetooth, or is it possible to add bluetooth to it?

2) Anyone know what speakers came in the 2015 212SS?

3) Was there a stock Subwoofer location?

The idea is to add a small 6 channel amp and a free air sub. Keep the clarion if possible and add bluetooth.

Mike Byrd

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
1) That Clarion head unit already has a Bluetooth dongle added to it from the factory. It should be on AUX 2. It is kind of a pain to get it to pair the first time. You have to turn the battery switch off, start searching for bluetooth on your phone, then switch the battery back on and the phone should pair.

2) The original speakers were Polk DB651. The swim dock may use a smaller size, I can't quite remember. This version of speaker is now discontinued by Polk.

3) There was not a subwoofer installed on this boat from the factory. Most people add a Wet Sounds free air behind the captains chair inside the storage locker. You cut a hole and have the sub face toward the center of the boat.

agarabaghi

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
1) Will try the bluetooth! thanks!

2) thats for that. Since there's 6 speakers, im going to run ch 1 and 2 at 2ohm and power 4 speakers that way, and then ch 3 and 4 will power the other 2 at 4ohms. ch 5 and 6 will power the sub bridged at 4ohm. All from a kicker 6ch amp... not the best practice but should be ok.

3) was hoping under the driver area, free air Kicker10" will sketch it out to see if it fits.

Mike Byrd

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
2) Just be aware (if you use the stock wiring) that the rear speakers and swim dock speakers share the same wiring so the amount of power going to those is not the same. The rest of the speakers have dedicated wiring (not shared).

3) There may be some people that have done it, not sure. You will have to do a search. Most of the time people put their extra 6.5" in that location on the captain side. There could be depth issues with a sub. Be careful when cutting that hole. A lot of wiring runs right behind that wall in that location.

agarabaghi

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
2) will be re wiring all the speakers but i guess that makes sense since the clarion is 4 ch. Basically will be mimicking that. Any idea where people mount the amps? Is there any place better than others, was thinking in the storage compartment in front of the passenger chair, but not sure. Maybe 5200 in some starboard strips for an amp rack.

Mike Byrd

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I mounted mine in the dead space forward of the steering wheel/instrument cluster. The back pad of the forward lounger comes off and there is an access hole. Since all the existing wiring goes there anyway (head unit) it is easy. You will need a very large gauge wire to run big amps up there all the way from the battery in the back. I have seen others put amps in one of the rear storage lockers but I have a 212X and didn't want to foul my water bags.

agarabaghi

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Yea i dont want to run that much 0/1 AWG. Im going to figure out a mounting spot in the storage compartment with the door