• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2016 212x Tachometer not working

TJP027

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
Morning everyone,

Need some help this morning. Long story short, caught in a rain storm last year. Tachometer somehow got water and stopped working.

Had it sitting in rice all winter long, plugged it in yesterday and still nothing.

Am I missing something or do I need to spend the almost $450 on the new one?

Thank you for your help.

Attachments

TJP027

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
Anyone have any advice?

Thanks

1BadTundra

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
I'd see if maybe an electronics shop could repair it. Google marine electronics repair. It's got to be cheaper than $400 for a new gauge!

TJP027

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
I'd see if maybe an electronics shop could repair it. Google marine electronics repair. It's got to be cheaper than $400 for a new gauge!
That will by my next move, I did find a temporary replacement.

I still want the factory one.

1BadTundra

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
I agree, I would want the oem as well.

sl1234

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
I just had the same issue. I called numerous dealers and online shops and no one has it in stock. I backordered an OEM one but it slated for at least 2 months out. Can I ask TJP027 what the temporary replacement was? It would be nice to have something in the meantime.

InmyElement

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
$400 wow..I'd go with a same size generic. rpm..also Ridesteady gives you RPMs and I believe you can choose which engine to read from port or starboard in the meantime.

sl1234

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
I can't find any generics. I called Yamaha support and they said they have no tachs currently available for this model and no cross reference to any other part that would work, but you have to order from a dealer before they try to restock the part. They also have no idea if a newer year tach from a 212 would work or even a tach from a 242 of the same year. Not much help there. I wouldn't even mind wiring a different gauge but these gauges have so much digital information and I saw reference to a CAN bus interface on these gauges in another thread, which would be next to impossible to decode or replicate on another gauge. Not to mention I can't find a wiring diagram for the gauges other than the generic harness connections that don't label the wires.

Last edited:

InmyElement

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Gotcha..maybe check with @Ridesteady maybe they have some ideas.

sl1234

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
Thanks, I'll see if they have other options.

sl1234

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
Thanks! I reached out to Dashboard Instrument Cluster in Miami, but have not heard back. I'll try them as well.

I've reached out to probably a dozen different dealers across the country and it's funny how a few say their inventory says they have one, but we can't find it. Of course I found someone with the starboard gauge, but not port. You would think they were the same, but they have different part numbers, the plugs are the same, but they have a different number of wires into each plug. It's kind of an expensive test to see if a $450 gauge might work.

Ridesteady

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Gotcha..maybe check with @Ridesteady maybe they have some ideas.
For what it's worth, our Ridesteady for Yamaha system provides engine tach (RPM) information, along with GPS speed. And it does track engine hours, but it starts the counter at 0.0 unless you set it otherwise.

However, it does not interface with the Yamaha CAN bus. So it cannot read logged engine hours from the computer or trouble codes, etc. But you do get a GPS / RPM based speed control along with electronic engine sync, among other features.

TJP027

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
I just had the same issue. I called numerous dealers and online shops and no one has it in stock. I backordered an OEM one but it slated for at least 2 months out. Can I ask TJP027 what the temporary replacement was? It would be nice to have something in the meantime.
I was not able to repair the original and still have it.

Was able to find a replacement from https://www.greatlakesskipper.com/

It does not match perfectly, but it will work until I can find a matching on at a better price.

sl1234

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
I was not able to repair the original and still have it.

Was able to find a replacement from https://www.greatlakesskipper.com/

It does not match perfectly, but it will work until I can find a matching on at a better price.
Thanks! Do you know which one worked? I was able to find the starboard tach, but I'm debating to try it since the port and starboard tachs are different part numbers and someone mentioned there is a primary/secondary relationship in the CAN bus with different information. Why would anyone even think that was a good design?! It looks like the 2014 ar240 have the exact same setup with a slightly different face.

I just can't believe I've seen people even go down the route of splicing analog to digital NMEA 2000 devices directly off the engine (if you have the wiring service diagram) because they can't get gauges. I'm really starting to not like Yamaha.

sl1234

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
Well I bit the bullet to see if it would work and found out that the 2014 AR240 left tach (part number F3H-U8245-00-00) does work in place of the 2015 212x left tachometer (part number F2J-U8245-20-00). The face is slightly different, but I can deal with that. Hopefully someday I'll get the original one. At least I'll have a backup then. I can't say if the right one would work, but I would guess it would.

If you want to go down the cool but slightly crazy route, then you can do this:
or this:

I would do just about anything for someone to come up with (if possible) a wiring harness that would plug in place of the dash tachs and speedometer and convert into NMEA2000 to then just use any multi function display you want.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. This forum is definitely better than Yamaha's help.