• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2016 242 Limited S low RPM on single engine- RESOLVED (fuel injector wire)

gunk12

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Noticed that one engine is only producing 6100 RPM at WOT. Checked clean out and impeller. Check APS throttle linkages. Oil level is OK. Next I’m going to change spark plugs and if that doesn’t resolve issue I’m going to run without air filter to test. Filter looks good though. Anyone have any suggestions on what else might be the culprit before I pull the boat to the dealership and spend lots of $? Thanks for your help and advice :). At sea level, 300 hours on the engines. Other is hitting 7100rpm. Top speed now is only 36mph.

Did this happen all of a sudden? Recently taken out of winter storage. Sometimes you just need a good run to clean out the winter crap.

Changing the plugs is a good idea. Maybe check the fuel filter and/or run through some injector cleaner.

Other thought I have is are you running premium or regular gas. I pretty much always run premium. Sometimes that helps.

Honestly can’t say if it just happened or was a slow process, but just noticed it. Boat is used in saltwater and on a lift. I sometimes get lazy with flushing the engines after use though :(. Fuel is purchased on the water so Rec90. Any idea on fuel filter location?

FYI for anyone experiencing similar issue- found one wire inside #4 fuel injector connector broke. Easy fix when I finally found the problem-

Attachments

• 09F428EB-6ECE-4E1A-822D-245C32CC18F7.jpeg
    09F428EB-6ECE-4E1A-822D-245C32CC18F7.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 38
  • 66A185CF-978E-4197-8FC3-5CECA1244578.jpeg
    66A185CF-978E-4197-8FC3-5CECA1244578.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 37
FYI for anyone experiencing similar issue- found one wire inside #4 fuel injector connector broke. Easy fix when I finally found the problem-
Nice find. Was it running rough/feeling like it was misfiring?

Engine sounded and ran as normal. Idled and ran at normal RPM, just didn’t have any top end. Only tell was the lose of RPM at full throttle.

Very strange, if the injector wasn't providing fuel, it's a wonder that cylinder ran at all.

From the look of the spark plug I don’t think the cylinder was firing. Sounded and ran fine though.

Back